Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Anybody with a 50%+ in the money:SNGs?

Not sure how I would calculate ROI.

Work out how much you have spent, then work out how much you have WON (not returned)

ROI = amount Won/amount spent.

hence won $45/$100 spent = 45% ROI
Old 05-25-2004, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no need to get touchy, homie. calm down

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

This strange reaction of yours gave me a reason to look a little more deeply into this thread. Let's see. You've started it with a question about ITM. As you probably know, using terms like ITM or ROI, makes sense only in relation to a big enough, significant statistical sample.

However, after you've got some replies, you started talking about your results in your last 11 (!) games, went to analyze your results for another last (new?) 4 (!!) games, in which your AA god cracked once (!!!), continued to write about your last 9 (!!!) games, went back to discuss your last 24 (!!!!!) games, and then made a bizzare statement regarding how you could have moneyd 70%+ over your last 150-200 games, if not for this problem (???) of bad-beats (!!!!) you suffer from.

This line of thinking, focusing on extremely short samples, on specific unlucky hands, and on bad-beats which supposedly leave you with only "potential places" (this is a term you've used), shows me you certainly *have* a flaw in your thinking about this game, no matter what is your "ITM" or "ROI" right now.

I'm sorry. Don't get too touchy about it, though, homie (?).
Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 AM

Thanks Lori.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no need to get touchy, homie. calm down

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

This strange reaction of yours gave me a reason to look a little more deeply into this thread. Let's see. You've started it with a question about ITM. As you probably know, using terms like ITM or ROI, makes sense only in relation to a big enough, significant statistical sample.

However, after you've got some replies, you started talking about your results in your last 11 (!) games, went to analyze your results for another last (new?) 4 (!!) games, in which your AA god cracked once (!!!), continued to write about your last 9 (!!!) games, went back to discuss your last 24 (!!!!!) games, and then made a bizzare statement regarding how you could have moneyd 70%+ over your last 150-200 games, if not for this problem (???) of bad-beats (!!!!) you suffer from.

This line of thinking, focusing on extremely short samples, on specific unlucky hands, and on bad-beats which supposedly leave you with only "potential places" (this is a term you've used), shows me you certainly *have* a flaw in your thinking about this game, no matter what is your "ITM" or "ROI" right now.

I'm sorry. Don't get too touchy about it, though, homie (?).

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no need for me to get touchy, homie, because you're the one that seems to have SUCH a problem with my thinking that you choose to point it out as FLAWED. so what if i gave a small sample of SNGs that i cashed in or gave accounts of bad beats that kept me out of the money, what's it to you? i never used those examples as PROOF that i could sustain those numbers. if you go back and read my previous post and another one earlier, you'll see that i USE THEM FOR "MY OWN" PERSONAL REASONS, such as personal motivation to get BETTER AS A PLAYER. also you those beats and statistics as ways to self-analyze my play and figure out where i went wrong and where i can improve. this is, you're so focused on MAKING AND SEEING ONLY YOUR POINT that you failed to see why i do what i do.
another reason i do what i do is because of positive visualization. i take those bad beats way in my mind, replace them with positive outcomes (such as making the money), and then focus on how those results translate into a winning player. conversely, this positive visualization (being the winning player i want aspire to be) then creates a positive mental attitude. it's this attitude that helps me strive toward being a consistent winner and i get positive reinforcement and reaffirmation when i get the results i envisioned in my mind.
so, to you, if that type of positive thinking is flawed, then that's on you. your opinion on my FLAWED thinking has no bearing on my successfulness as a player. it's this very type of thinking that's made me a good player. i have no doubt that with a more experience and improvement in skill, this type of thinking will aid me in becoming a great player. understand, understood.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's no need for me to get touchy, homie, because you're the one that seems to have SUCH a problem with my thinking that you choose to point it out as FLAWED. so what if i gave a small sample of SNGs that i cashed in or gave accounts of bad beats that kept me out of the money, what's it to you? i never used those examples as PROOF that i could sustain those numbers. if you go back and read my previous post and another one earlier, you'll see that i USE THEM FOR "MY OWN" PERSONAL REASONS, such as personal motivation to get BETTER AS A PLAYER. also you those beats and statistics as ways to self-analyze my play and figure out where i went wrong and where i can improve. this is, you're so focused on MAKING AND SEEING ONLY YOUR POINT that you failed to see why i do what i do.
another reason i do what i do is because of positive visualization. i take those bad beats way in my mind, replace them with positive outcomes (such as making the money), and then focus on how those results translate into a winning player. conversely, this positive visualization (being the winning player i want aspire to be) then creates a positive mental attitude. it's this attitude that helps me strive toward being a consistent winner and i get positive reinforcement and reaffirmation when i get the results i envisioned in my mind.
so, to you, if that type of positive thinking is flawed, then that's on you. your opinion on my FLAWED thinking has no bearing on my successfulness as a player. it's this very type of thinking that's made me a good player. i have no doubt that with a more experience and improvement in skill, this type of thinking will aid me in becoming a great player. understand, understood.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 05-25-2004, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't know by now, you're never gonna know.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't worry about it. if you don't get it by now, you're never gonna get it.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It always amazes how some people come here, supposedly to improve their game and to think more deeply about it, but instead of taking part in an intelligent discussion, they just start to mumble all kinds of rubbish.

GL to you, hope this positive-visualization-of-bad-beats thing of yours will lead you to unsurmountable new levels of ITM%! Much less boring technique than analyzing your game thoroughly and objectively, that's for sure.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It always amazes how some people come here, supposedly to improve their game and to think more deeply about it, but instead of taking part in an intelligent discussion, they just start to mumble all kinds of rubbish.

GL to you, hope this positive-visualization-of-bad-beats thing of yours will lead you to unsurmountable new levels of ITM%! Much less boring technique than analyzing your game thoroughly and objectively, that's for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm LMFAO at you, bruh. what kind of intelligent conversation on improving my game are we having? oh, i know, it's a conversation where you call the thinking of another player that has aided him in winning FLAWED. oh, i know, it's the kind of intelligent conversation where you refer to someone's explaination as to why they do what the do and how it works for them as "MUMBLING ALL KINDS OF RUBBISH". so who's really having an intelligent conversation? i hope you don't think you are. all you have done is come into this thread and respond negatively. if this conversation were intelligent, you would be GIVING ME examples of other ways to better analyze and improve my play instead of telling me why YOU THINK my thinking (which has been successful for me) is FLAWED. you can keep your best wishes and hopes for my future success to yourself, especially when they don't mean much anyway.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, Lori. I know I could improve both my ITM and ROI, but past a certain point increasing ITM will not increase ROI, and focusing too highly on ITM will reduce ROI.

You want to have the best hand most of the time you get all-in, of course, but if the percentage of time you think you have the best hand gets much over 80%, I'd say you're missing a lot of +EV opportunities.

As I said to the original poster, semi tongue-in-cheek, if you have the best hand every time you push in, you're playing too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

quite the contrary on the playing tight issue. quite a few times it was because i was playing agressive early with a good hand and got beat or sucked out by a more inferior one.
i'll give you some examples of aggressive play that cost me early, then i had to fight back in contention only to be burst out on the bubble with the best hand.

1. one player is all-in with about 200 in chips. every player folds and i reraise this players all-in holding Q Q. the player to my left who has more chips calls my reraise. the flop has all low cards but two of them represent a low straight draw. i bet strong on the flop and the player to my left calls. something tells me this guy must be on that straight draw so i check on the turn to see what he will do. he bets strong on the turn (x card) and i reraise over the top of him. he calls. the river hits another card that complements the low straight draw and by then i feel i'm beat. i curse to myself, "the f#ing river just gave him the straight!". i check, he bets strong, i fold knowing i will get to see his cards. true enough, the river card completed his straight and he wins a big pot. now although i praise myself for making a good laydown and for not investing anymore money in the hand, i'm still pissed. the guy called a reraise over the top of an all-in with a hand like 6 5 offsuit. he continued with the call of a strong bet on the flop and then called a reraise of his bet on the turn, all under the guise of a low straight draw holding a measly 6 5. for a guy to call a reraise of an all-in with 6 5 offsuit preflop has me shaking my head. i'm thinking, this guy should know his hand is not good right now if i reraise him on the turn. either way, i lost a lot of chips with THE BEST HAND AT THE START that got sucked out at the end. i ended up battling back to finish in 5th place (one out of the money) with the best hand at the start that did'nt hold up.

2. holding A J, i raise preflop and i am called by the chip leader at my table. a Jack comes on the flop giving me top pair, top kicker. there's one other card that complements the Jack to where it could constitute a staright draw, plus there are two cards on the flop of the same suit for a possible flush draw. i bet strong to protect my hand and he calls. i'm know putting him on a straight draw or pair of Jacks with a weaker kicker. i bet strong on the turn to make him pay and he reraises me double. i call and the river hits a 10 which further complements the straight draw. i reason that i'm beat so i check and he bets strong. i fold. i chooses to show his cards after he wins the pot on my thinking on his possible Jack hand is correct. he had a pair of Jacks but he had a weaker kicker. funny thing is, his weak kicker got paired on the river-- the 10--- giving him two pair. so here we go again, a player calling a raise preflop with a suspect hand and getting rewarded by a suckout on the river.

3. raise preflop with pocket Jacks with two callers. the flop has all diamonds but there's another Jack giving me trips. i bet strong, one guy drops out, and other player left calls. the turn is an x card, i check, he bets strong, i reraise because i feel my trips are good. he calls. the river comes another diamond so i definitely figure i'm beat because any diamond down to the duece beats my had if it was'nt already on the flop. i check, he bets strong, i fold. this player also decides to show his hand and my instincts are right. i indeed had the best hand preflop, on the flop, and on the turn despite the three diamonds on the flop. he had the Ace of diamond giving him the nut flush. so he called a preflop raise with Ace high and a low other card, called my bet on the flop with only the Ace, called my reraise on the turn with still only the Ace and caught his on the river.

these are just a few examples that i keep in my playing journal where i had the best hand early, how it was played agressively (with good cause) where the inferior hand got lucky on a suckout to the river. every hand involved someone calling a raise preflop with a suspect, marginal hand. in every example, i had the best hand up until the river and laid my hand down. in two of the examples, i went out on the bubble (after fighting back and again with the better hand preflop), and in the J 10 suckout i managed to make it to third with not enough chips to stage anything. so don't assume it's because i was playing tight. more often than not, my bubble finishes came because the other person with the weaker hand got lucky. i put myself in the position to win the hand (with the better hand) and possibly cash, if the cards help out a more inferior hand, it's not more you can do.