Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: AKs...how do I play it?

Cap the flop, raise the turn, if he 3 bets the turn, call and c/c the river.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop, raise the turn, if he 3 bets the turn, call and c/c the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I agree with capping the flop, but I'm not sure why you'd want to raise the turn. The guy is showing a lot of agression. It seems like you'd be running a big risk of a 3-bet on the turn with a had that could very well be the underdog.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, only 7 combinations of hands beat us here

KK (1 combo)
AA (6 combos)

[/ QUOTE ]
so what?

what bet/3-bets the flop against us?

[/ QUOTE ]

Full ring .5/1

Ax spades, KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ and TT are all within vils range to varying degrees (particularly discounted are KJ, JJ and TT). Regardless there is a HUGE chance we are splitting here which makes any play totally irrelevant considering we cant fold him.

Note: Could OP please clarify the line "villain has played few hands and is unknown"? I read this as... villain has only been sitting for a very short while and as such OP has no read at all. But it could also be read as... villain is tight and has been playing few hands out of the hands he has sat down for so far. this changes things a lot for me.

Edit: Edited to say... on the flop we dont know vils actions for the rest of the hand. Reading the hand forward a cap could induce a turn check; even if the flop 3bet is called we could see a turn check with the FD.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:53 AM

(my admittedly newbie opinion)

So possibly I'm to weak/tight, but I like the line played here except I would've capped PF. On the flop, you've got KK with top kicker. In the end, that's not really that strong of a hand.

At the flop, as soon as the villain bets, I'd have put him on AA, KK, AK, or some broadway flush draw. The question I'd have to answer in my head is whether I think he's an idiot just trying to push me out of the pot with some garbage like QQ-TT. My own experience is that even in micro, this is a dangerous assumption. I lose more than I win with that assumption. Raising him again was fine -- tests his commitment. But when he called that raise, I'm even more sure that I've got him right. Now the question is whether he's splitting with us (AK), already has us beat (AA, KK), or is drawing to the flush.

Turn card doesn't seem to matter to me. I'm not putting him on x3 given the action so far. I like the line here.

River card makes me think it just became a lot more likely that I just lost. That being said, I can't lay down this hand for that alone so again, I like your line.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Could OP please clarify the line "villain has played few hands and is unknown"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant he has only been at the table for a short time and I have no PA stats on him.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM

Looks fine. He 3bet preflop OOP, and led right into you on the K-high flop after you capped preflop, and went ahead and 3bet you on the flop after you capped preflop and raised the flop, he really really really likes his hand. Just make a note at showdown to give yourself a little more of an idea as to what he can play aggressively.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but by just calling down, its nearly impossible to tell what he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill find out what he has at SD, as folding here is never an option.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 PM

With no reads I would call his 3-bet on the flop then raise the turn. If he 3-bets the turn then I'd call down. If he calls you on the turn then checkraises the river then I'd call.

BBB