Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Wheel of Time

The new book is out -- and I'm getting it tomorrow. It's crazy that I have been reading these books since HS, and I'm in (hopefully!) my last year as a grad student now. There is a lot of stuff to remember, and since I am in the process of writing my dissertation and I like to play a little [censored] too, I don't have time to re-read the thousands and thousands of pages of these big ass novels.

So, does anyone know a synopsis I can read to outline the major points. I think I remember Egwene has been captured by the Black Ajah, but I can't for the life of me remember what Mat, Perrin, Rand, Aveinda, and others are doing, where Mordeth is... etc. Any good links from fellow WoT fans?

Thanks
Greg
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Wheel of Time

I can't understand why people read this series. Do you just love to bore yourself to death? Just quit now and read something worthwhile.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't understand why people read this series. Do you just love to bore yourself to death? Just quit now and read something worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you want to post a list of the worthwhile books? I'd love to print it and take it to my local library. See, they got all those damned shelves just filled up and I know they can use the room for something really wonderful instead a lot of crappy books that you just absolutely know for sure nobody has any business reading and forming their own opinion of.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 AM

There are some summaries here:

http://hem.passagen.se/wotcomp/

There are some funny summaries here:

http://meikon.homeip.net/extras/Whee...ime-Summaries/

And lots of discussion here:

http://www.speedreading.com/phpBB2/forum41.html

FWIW, The new book is much better than the last one, but fairly uneventful nevertheless. It's a fun enough read for when you need to read without thinking too hard.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 AM

If Robert Jordan dies before he finishes this damn thing, I hope to see him in Hell.

I hope he will be wearing a simple, stout wool gray peasant dress with a low, scooped neck, and yanking his friggin' braid for all he's worth.

(non-fans may ignore ^ rant)
Old 10-21-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Robert Jordan dies before he finishes this damn thing, I hope to see him in Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the author who has said he doesn't intend to finish the series. He's just going to continue writing in that universe since it's a good earner for him?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the author who has said he doesn't intend to finish the series. He's just going to continue writing in that universe since it's a good earner for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see continuing the universe and building some sort of canon, but this series is building toward an apocolyptic battle that will have to be fought eventually, or his earning will go down the drain.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 AM

I got up to book 8 I think and havent read it since, I hate it when the series isnt complete when I am reading it and it seems clear he aint in any hurry to complete it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he will be wearing a simple, stout wool gray peasant dress with a low, scooped neck, and yanking his friggin' braid for all he's worth.

(non-fans may ignore ^ rant)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Yeah, he writes women real well.

Blood and bloody ashes, I've been reading this series since I was in high school.

I'm too far in to stop now. The last 4 books have been for [censored].

More Mat, less Rand and the chicks.

You hear me Jordan? We want more gambling and hot chicks.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:09 AM

Seriously I have no idea why anyone reads this garbage anymore. I got started 11 years ago on it. That's just wrong. After book 6, RJ totally abandoned moving the plot in order to write the most tedious 3000 pages ever. I last purchased one of his books 6 years ago, and I wish I hadn't.