Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 04:22 AM

Default play it faster, i say he has ak

if ur not gonna raise on the flop checkraise him on the turn, if u checkraise flop and he has ak u might get a lot of action,
Old 10-19-2004, 04:58 AM

Default Re: play it faster, i say he has ak

i personally like the checkcall on the flop, then i would lead the turn hoping to be raises in which case I would 3bet.

if the guy has AK then I think this is the best way to make the most money, if he has a PP then I wouldn't want to lose him on the flop.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: PP 15/30 how should I have played this?

I would have definitely raised the turn. Then bet out at the river and called his likely raise.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:55 PM

Don't slowplay the flop. There are plenty of hands that will give you lots of action, and your hand can't stand THAT much action on later streets anyways. Go ahead and attack the flop.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 10-19-2004, 03:11 PM

AK/QQ/99 are all possible. AJs as well. I think your line is ok if you think UTG+3 would fold KK/QQ/JJ/TT for a turn check-raise, but usually I would check raise this turn. A big ace will 3-bet you and you can cap.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:39 PM

slow playing the flop is a mistake. slow playing the turn is a bigger mistake. looks like you let him get to the river cheaply and it cost you. a raise in either spot might get him to lay his hand down. you raised pre flop and called thereafter. weak!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM

As you raised UTG pre-flop there is a ready-made "obvious" hand of Ax for them to put you on. Therefore I would have check-raised the flop and come out betting on the turn, looking like a man with AK or AQs worried about flush draws. I don't see him going to river under this scenario.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:25 PM

But this analysis implies that you want QQ to fold before the river. Why would you want that? It's only a 4 outer - the equivalent of a gutshot.

The concern here should not be "how do I get my opponent out?". The question is "how do I milk this guy to the max?"

For lots of reasons already identified by the others, I like the flop checkraise as the route that fetches the most milk.

So, we say the same thing: Play it fast. But the reason why we say that appears to be different. I have no desire to have QQ fold. Hell, if I knew that he would fold to a flop or turn checkraise, then I wouldn't checkraise and I would play it the way the poster played it.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 PM

If I were elected president, I would immediately try to get a law passed saying that anyone who slowplays a hand and then gets beat loses the priviledge of referring to it as an "awful beat".