Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Did I play this poorly?

Would I have been better served leading out? I am OOP. Villian is reletively unknown.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Kd (two pair, kings and sixes).
Villian has Kh Jh (flush, king high).
Outcome: Villian wins 12.25 BB. </font>

Any way that I would've been better served? Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Note: I don't normally play AK this way oop, but I was fairly confident I had the best hand on the turn. Unfortunately I recieved info that I may have been beaten on the turn and still called down.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Did I play this poorly?

I absolutely would have 3-bet preflop and led the flop (after getting capped probably), but I am a simple man.

Prepare to hear: we don't need to see the results; don't be results-oriented, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM

Preflop-Reraise. Your hand is most likely best. MP3 could be isolating with a weaker ace or other subpar hands.

Flop-Checkraise. You want to get this heads-up. With KQ on the flop, there a lot of hands UTG will call one bet with but not two. You don't want him in the hand anymore, checkraise here. Then lead the turn. If raised, I'd call down.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Preflop: Raise!
Flop: Lead out and stay aggressive! Based on YOUR preflop, if not leading out you've got to check-raise this bad boy!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM

I do not hate your play in this hand (I would never take this line...) but I think you played it in a manner that made your decisions very difficult vs and unknown later in the hand on an expensive street.
If you 3-bet pf it becomes way easier to play as your range of hands of MP3 becomes much clearer if he caps or calls.

Actually I really dislike the flop play. I think checking and calling here is pretty bad as you really need to do something to define the hands of your opponents. I would either donk it or C/R, leaning more to the C/R side as TPTK can be vulnerable here with two cards in the playing zone and I really don't mind taking the pot down here.

The turn C/R is mandatory given the fact that you are so likely to be ahead and the line you choose but as you can see this line will blow up in your face from time to time when you are way behind. I think you have no choice but to call this down vs an unknown (he'll have AQ or AK a lot here) but I really hate your chances at SD as this rarely means anything other than AA, KK or QQ.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:24 PM

I am seeing more of the positional semi-bluff raises for the free showdown all the time. You didn't reraise your hand and therefore your opponnent isn't automatically putting you on AK etc. What does he think you have? I think this hand plays totally differntly if your reraise preflop.
Alternatively if I cold call preflop I would be check raising and even cappping this preflop. I would then donk the turn and call down if raised.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the feedback. Quick question, since I'm somewhat new to 2+2. What does it mean to 'donk' a hand? Just bet out your hand?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just bet out your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
A donk bet is when you lead bet after someone else put in the last raise on the previous betting round that did not cap the betting. It's often a weird bet and is often done by poor "donkey" or just "donk" players, hence the donk bet. Sometimes it is the best move though as it is awkward and is an open challenge to the previous rounds aggressor to raise you, which is usually the desired result. Most good players dislike being donk bet as it is often hard to know what the best action is and it leaves you guessing much of the time.

The donk bet used to be called a "gay bet" but obviously that term is way un-PC and needed to be revamped and the donk bet was born.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:39 PM

3-bet preflop, and c/r or bet out the flop. Your hand is super good on that flop. . . you will win most of the time. Heads Up . . . if he is on some sort of draw punish him for drawing. If he has a set or two pair congradulate him on a good hand =) Either way bet the turn. (Its really hard to give accurate turn advice here since you did not re-raise PF or re-raise the flop . . . if you had done that earlier, we would have more info on Villan and the correct turn decision would be clearer).
Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM

A while ago I sometimes just called with AK in the BB for deception. Even slowplayed an A or K flop from time to time. But I found that I was rarely comfortable playing like that postflop.
When you 3bet preflop and lead any flop you don't have to make as many difficult decisions.

Since you just called preflop, I would CR/cap or bet/3bet the flop. I don't like check/calling.