Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Default When should you move up?

Just curious guys,
If your a winning player at .5/$1 and are wondering when is a good time to move up to $1/2, what should be your guide.

What I was thinking is...

10k hands
2.5bb/100 or more
obviously the bankroll
good PT stats...

Just curious if I should be moving up...
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: When should you move up?

You have to have replied to at least 7 effing, "When should I move up?" posts before moving up yourself.

That's 5!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:19 PM

I'm the same situation. And since I've got the roll, I have started taking shots at 1/2. Just playing a few sessions every week.

So I would say, take a shot whenever you feel comfortabel. Just be prepared to move down again.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 PM

2.5 BB/100 over 10K hands at .5/1 really isn't alot. If someone was winning that much at .5/1 I'd tell them to wait until 20K. The games are so good at that level that your winrate can really move up and down over 10K hands.

You should move up when:

You have a bankroll that you personally are comfortable playing with at a higher limit. This could be 300 BB, it could be 3,000 BB.

You are sure you are a winner at the limit you are playing, and will continue to win when you move up.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.5/$1...when is a good time to move up to $1/2.

10k hands
2.5bb/100 or more
obviously the bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think more like...
20k hands min. 10k is an indicator, but not a very sure one.
3.0 BB/100 minimum, 3.5 min. better. Beating Party .5/1 for 2.5 BB is nice, but not really saying a lot, unless your doing it while multitabling 3 or more tables which means you would probably be at 3+ on 2 tables.
Bankroll
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 PM

OK, I'm guilty of posing this exact same question not too long ago. I took a couple of shots at 1/2, fumbled around for a bit, and dropped back to my .5/1 comfort zone. I was dissapointed in myself, and stopped playing for a couple of weeks. Got back on, went to 1/2 full time and got pimp-slapped to the tune of 75BB. Some senior posters gave me the brilliant advice of NOT PLAYING 4 TABLES when you aren't quite yet comfortable. I dropped to single tabling, and getting a sweat every now and then. I'm now in the green (just barely, but in the green) and have started to feel a lot more comfortable. The game is different, although not much. Tons of players have done it before, and most comment on how it seemed brutal at the time, but going back now, it's a piece of pie.

You will run into good players, aggressive players, rocks, and donks, just like .5/1. If the $$ scares you, then you aren't ready. If you haven't yet learned to obseve players and their tendencies, you aren't ready. If you don't know what to do when a LPP checkraises your TPNK on the turn when a blank hits, you aren't ready. If you don't know how many outs you have at any time in the hand, well you know the answer by now.

Put in the time, not just playing, but learning. It's a challenge to me to get better, and that's why I wanted to move up. I have a job, I don't need the money, but I'm a competitive person. I want to get better. If I just wanted to win, I'd stay at .5/1 forever.

You will be told over and over, like I have, that 1/2 full is a weak-tight game. You have to learn to deal with that (getting your TP called down the whole way by an overpair, and such), and it requires that you acquire some new skills. That is the fun part, evolving your game.

Good luck, and keep running g00t.

Nate
Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.5/$1...when is a good time to move up to $1/2.

10k hands
2.5bb/100 or more
obviously the bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think more like...
20k hands min. 10k is an indicator, but not a very sure one.
3.0 BB/100 minimum, 3.5 min. better. Beating Party .5/1 for 2.5 BB is nice, but not really saying a lot, unless your doing it while multitabling 3 or more tables which means you would probably be at 3+ on 2 tables.
Bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]

Does 3 BB/100 minimum seem a bit high to anyone else? Let alone 3.5 ..
Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 PM

If you can destroy .50/1, you can destroy 1/2.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 PM

I played just 6k hands before moving up to 1/2 6max

there isn't a set # or bb/100 you need, a lot of ppl run hot at .5/1 have a big winrate and think they are hot [censored], not gonna name names but lets just say the ppl suggesting 2.5/100 is nowhere near enough need a reality check.

its more about are you comfortable with the money, it will likely take a while for that to come, are you bankrolled? are you willing to drop down? starting with 1table of 1/2 and 1-2tables .5/1 is a decent way to start the transition, too many ppl feel like they are "1/2" players now and make the move too fast.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Asking what sort of BB/100 you need over 10,000 hands to consider moving up should automatically prevent you from doing so.

Seriously.

I know you're working on your game and you've shown a good attitude re. taking advice and such, so I won't hold it against you (and will pretend that that means something until I sober up).

You know when you're ready to move up. You don't have to ask. You may want someone to help you build your confidence, but nothing anyone says will change the fact that you know when you're ready to move up.

It's not that complicated. Do you have the roll? Are you mentally prepared to endure a rough transition? Do you think your game is up to it? Are you ready to step outside your comfort zone? Does the prospect of failure seem like something you can deal with?

Play as many or as few hands as you're comfortable with. Choose the path that's right for you.

Best of luck whatever you decide.