Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 05:26 AM

Default A passive grinder\'s lame boat play.

Posted for a friend.

FYI, hero doesn't want any preflop comments. He grinds SSNL and plays volume pots at smaller margins to keep his wins consistent. He will play TT-QQ for sets during sessions when he is playing 5+ tables. No PT stats.

We just want to confirm

1) that even when playing it correctly the money gets in properly

2) when the money should go in and how.

Any discussion of why even a grinding player should reraise preflop may convince him to do so.

-kyo

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 10 handed) converter

UTG ($118.5)
UTG+1 ($60.8)
UTG+2 ($0)
MP1 ($126.5)
MP2 ($89.45)
Hero ($160.15)
CO ($49.9)
Button ($49.25)
SB ($49.5)
BB ($154.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $3.

Turn: ($15.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($35.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

Final Pot: $75.75
Old 06-23-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: A passive grinder\'s lame boat play.

[ QUOTE ]
Any discussion of why even a grinding player should reraise preflop may convince him to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean, a grinding player? He's bored? Correct strategy is correct strategy IMO, grind or not.

Re-raising here would serve a few purposes: to isolate the original raiser, because Queens don't play well against multiple opponents. To get some idea of where you stand. To get more money in the pot as long as you are favorite... these are the first that come to mind.

On the flop: bet a decent amount ($8 or more) or don't bet at all. An underbet tells you nothing. If you re-raise PF, this will be a nice pot to take down on the flop. If he pushes, I'd lay it down. If he calls, I'm done with the hand and trying to see a cheap showdown.

The way hero played it, I'm pushing on the river. If he had aces or kings, he sure didn't play this like he did.

Just my thoughts... comments are welcome.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean, a grinding player? He's bored? Correct strategy is correct strategy IMO, grind or not.

Re-raising here would serve a few purposes: to isolate the original raiser, because Queens don't play well against multiple opponents. To get some idea of where you stand. To get more money in the pot as long as you are favorite... these are the first that come to mind.

On the flop: bet a decent amount ($8 or more) or don't bet at all. An underbet tells you nothing. If you re-raise PF, this will be a nice pot to take down on the flop. If he pushes, I'd lay it down. If he calls, I'm done with the hand and trying to see a cheap showdown.

The way hero played it, I'm pushing on the river. If he had aces or kings, he sure didn't play this like he did.

Just my thoughts... comments are welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

He views playing multiple tables as an excuse to multitask and relax. While he sacrifices expectation, per hand, by playing this passively, he feels that at these limits he can pass up a lot of close or difficult situations as long as he plays enough hand to make up the value lost.

Admittedly, this is hardly a 'close or difficult' situation, but should anyone else play this style, which has worked very well at party NL25-100 before and after the buyin change, feel free to comment on anything you'd do differently.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 PM

cold calling the raise preflop is fine.

I would have either checked behind on the flop or bet more.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cold calling the raise preflop is fine.

I would have either checked behind on the flop or bet more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for answering the question, unlike many other replies [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-kyo