Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Dealer tipping. Advice?

When do you do it? How often?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Dealer tipping. Advice?

There are dozens of threads on the subject, but $1 every pot you win is a good guidline, as long as the dealer is good. You don't need to tip if you just steal the blinds, and if you rake a monster pot, $2 wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When do you do it? How often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since they sleep standing up, I sneak up behind them on their late night breaks and push. They tip over quite easily.

I do it every chance I get because I don't want to be called a douchebag. Sometimes twice on the same break if the dealer goes back to sleep.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you win a pot of any significance.

[ QUOTE ]
How often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully very often.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Amen
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM

I have decided to change my tipping policy to be based on courtesy and efficienty. Not on whether or not you pushed me money. Most dealers will qualify, some will not.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM

I take a bit of a different approach. When I'm playing the lower limit games, I don't mind a dealer being a little lively, while maintaining the flow of the game. That being said, I will give $1 a pot if the dealer is your typical "robot" personality that just deals the cards... If they're extra friendly while shuffling/dealing out the cards, then they'll get $2 a pot. Something I've noticed a lot lately in the lower limit games...the dealer will get up, give everyone a very friendly and sincere "everyone, good luck, have a great night, thanks for playing..etc..." and the players will throw them a dollar or 2 extra on top of whatever they were getting for each pot. I'm there to have a good time, and hopefully make $50-$100 or so playing 4-8, so I'll throw the dealer a couple of bucks when he/she is getting up as long as he/she was exceptionally friendly and controlled the game.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:51 PM

I was at a game on sat. night and I was the ONLY one who tipped (it was a 5/10 game with lots of yellow kicking around). it was pretty surreal.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 PM

1) The dealer is there to serve you the paying customer.

2) The dealers are paid a wage.

3) Good dealers should be rewarded for their "above average" ability to deal cards and keep a game running smoothly.

4) If you're pleased with the dealers performance go ahead and tip 'em.

5) If you're no pleased with the dealers performance don't tip.

6) Dealer tipping is not mandatory.

I realize the exceptional dealers who are friendly, know my name, and run a good game deserve a part of my take. They get a piece from time to time. I enjoy the benefits of a periodic schedule of positive reinforcment in the form of a deler toke.

I am a low limit hold'em player who plays for the enjoyment of the game and to make some extra money on the side. Using the method I've devised for application of dealer tokes I feel I am tipping at or near the optimum rate.

Here are my guidlines for a dollar tip (3/6 HE w/$3 drop):

1) The pot >$50.

2) The dealer is exceptional.

3) I am ahead in the game.

4) The dealer has never forgotten to acknoledge my gesture.

By following this method I reward the derserving dealers at a rate that encourages the particular behavior of "efficient dealing". Also it teaches the dealers that extra money they earn from tips is "earned" not a "right". In my game I think that a player with suffient skills can beat the game for 1BB+/hr using this method.

If I played in a bigger game I would probably raise my minumum pot size standard.

For those of you who don't care about the money and play just for excitement go ahead and tip excessivley. Tip a red chip for every pot you win, even when you win the blinds. It's been my experience that when dealers get tipped every pot they don't appreciate them as much. In turn they don't work to "earn" them they begin to expect them.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:03 PM

Search the 300 tipping threads over the last month?