Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Overpair on a suited flop

Very early in a $33 SNG.

I get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raise 5BBs. The button
and the BB call.
The flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
The BB checks, I make a pot-sized bet and the button raises.

What would you do here?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Overpair on a suited flop

It'll help to post the stack sizes and level, but I'll try to answer based on the Party level 1 assumtion. You are either up against behind but have outs to a hand like 2 pair or a set, or you are ahead but against a nut flush draw. You could also be against a much weaker hand here. It's not likely, but definitely not impossible.

This is a real generic answer, but it depends on how much you have left compared with the size of the blinds. Without any reads, I'd say you are pot equity is around 50% given all the possible scenarios. Seems like an easy call chipwise, but there are other circumstances which could make this a better fold.

I'd call this most of the time, but I need more info.

It might help to post the site and hand history.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Overpair on a suited flop

Thx for your reply.
It was the 5th hand of level 1, blinds at 5/10.
The three players involved in this hand had still 1000 chips.
I also decided to call. The turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I check,
he checks and the River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet about half the pot, he reraises me all-in and shows J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I guess my play on the river was horrible since I didnt improve after the flop and there was a decent chance that he either had a Q or two spades.