Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Tricky call with Ace high...stupid?

playing 1/2 NL at PokerPlex...has somewhat of a read on this one guy, min bets on the flop when he has a piece of it, and checks when he doesn't. he's generally a loose player, paying off second best hands a decent amount.

something was fishy about this hand. posting a previous hand that made me call the next...

1/2 NL 6-handed

UTG Hero ($250.50 in chips)
Button ($75 in chips)
SB ($200.25 in chips)
BB ($198 in chips)

SB posts small blind $1
BB posts big blind $2

----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Hero: raises to $8
Button: folds
SB: folds
BB: calls $6

----- FLOP ----- [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
BB: checks
Hero: bets $12
BB: calls $12
----- TURN ----- [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]][5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Hero: bets $30
BB: calls $30
----- RIVER ----- [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]][5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]][8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
BB: bets $48
Hero: folds
Returned uncalled bets $48 to BB
BB: doesn't show hand
BB collected $98 from Main pot

any thoughts on this hand btw? i thought that hand was screaming straight, since i was controlling the action the whole way...but the next hand is a bit different.

ok this is the hand i would like comments about...

UTG: hero ($192.50 in chips)
Button: sits out
SB: ($282.75 in chips)
BB: ($242 in chips)
SB: posts small blind $1
BB: posts big blind $2

----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Hero: raises to $8
SB: folds
BB: calls $6
----- FLOP ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Hero: checks
----- TURN ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]][3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
BB: bets $4
Hero: raises to $15
BB: calls $11
----- RIVER ----- [4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]][3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]][3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
BB: bets $19
Hero: calls $19
----- SHOW DOWN -----
BB: shows [6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (A Pair of Threes, Ten high)
Hero: shows [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (A Pair of Threes, Ace high)
Hero collected $82 from Main pot

was this call too loose? was i playing on tilt? comments and suggestions? tell my thinking later...
Old 09-03-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Tricky call with Ace high...stupid?

Uhhh ...

First, it seem's like it's 4 handed, not 6. I think I would have paid him off the first hand if he hit his monkey straight. If he chased with 79 to a gut shot, I'll stack him soon enough. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You called down with A-high? Min-bet on turn cold-call reraise and lead on river ... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. If I call I'm more interested in what he played than winning. But against a decent player I'll just muck. Yes, I'm a little weak. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 04:51 PM

First hand when he leads out on the river its clearly for value. Even from a week player. I would suspect two pair. Possibly even as simple as A8. He hit his weak kicker, now he bets. I suspect you are beat here - not a bad laydown. I only say this because of the betting pattern of a typical 1/2 player. On the second hand when you raise on the turn and he calls he is trapping or drawing. When the board pairs and he bets extremely weak - 19 dollars into the 50 dollar or more pot. I suspected he has a weak hand. But he could still be ahead of you and wants a cheap showdown. With his gutshot+spade draw you are behind on the turn. If you could have seen his hand on the turn you would have not called the 4 dollar bet. So in retrospect I think once your steal attemp on the turn fails I would not be putting anymore money in the pot. But I would also laydown the AQ even to 4 dollars. Such a small amount in the pot. Seems like better spots to pick on the draw heavy board.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:27 PM

Im having trouble seeing a straight on the 1st hand. He would have had to call 2 decent sized bets with a gutshot, so unless he is terrible I dont think that is very likely. As was mentioned before, he could have just hit his kicker, or been playing a set a little tricky (I will sometimes play a set this way Heads up, though not usually). This would also be a clever way to play a hand that he was planning on calling anyway (AJ or AT) so he bets out what he approximates you would have bet, and also gets a chance for you to fold. I would say its over a 50% shot that youre beat, but for me it would be player dependent on whether I call or not. Usually he'll have a pretty big hand.