Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: 150/300 bellagio hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yuk, folding here is no good IMO. He has done nothing but bet when checked to. How can a fold be right here ever? The description of this player was not straight forward.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect his range of hands to be AK, AQ, KK, AA and QQ. Look at preflop, what do you think he's calling 3 cold with from a UTG raise and a tight reraiser, and then calling the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 6 handed high stakes game, his range is certainly wider than that. I would imagine that villian would not describe BK as a tight reraiser.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yuk, folding here is no good IMO. He has done nothing but bet when checked to. How can a fold be right here ever? The description of this player was not straight forward.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect his range of hands to be AK, AQ, KK, AA and QQ. Look at preflop, what do you think he's calling 3 cold with from a UTG raise and a tight reraiser, and then calling the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he caps all of those, except maybe AQ.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 6 handed high stakes game, his range is certainly wider than that. I would imagine that villian would not describe BK as a tight reraiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the times when I play in live short handed, or to be honest full table games, all the normal players think i am a maniac.

cause I "raise every hand"

I don't actually even raise all that often, but I think some of the young internet players are just viewed as maniacs.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 AM

I really think you should be leading this turn and call a raise, then fold on river unimproved with 95% confidence you were beat. At least you get full value for your hand this way incase you draw out.

I don't think villain will bet the turn without an Ace, and may often check behind here
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM

This whole folding for 1 more bet stuff in this type of hand is non-sense. I'm seeing the showdown and that's that.

Just earlier that night I made a play on another sorta decent player with a pair of 8's and got her of AJ HU on a A53T7 board. That's too huge of a huge victory. I'm not going to be that guy.

We're playing semi-short handed and even if calling might be slightly -ev (which I do not believe it is) it will give me some insight into his game as well as help for meta-game reasons.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 AM

I am going to go against the grain and say checkraise the turn.

Going along with the DERB style of play, in this game you need to get people to fear you, and you need them to not be calling your bets with nothing or betting vs you with nothing (and instead simply folding to you because they fear you), and checkraising him on this turn will help towards doing just that. On this board texture (coupled with the PF action) I really don't see him holding that many hands that will three bet you, so even if you're behind it's only costing you one more BB than check calling the turn and river, and if he folds to the turn checkraise this will go miles towards helping you learn that you can steal future pots off this guy -- pots that will be immensely more valuable than the .75BB-.8BB it costs you when you're behind on the turn and do checkraise.

Plus he will maybe even call you down with a worse hand simply out of curiosity (and knowing you're an online player and as such we have a rep for bluffing/spewing too much). Plus he might be winning and you river him anyway and it might momentarily tilt him.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to go against the grain and say checkraise the turn.

Going along with the DERB style of play, in this game you need to get people to fear you, and you need them to not be calling your bets with nothing or betting vs you with nothing (and instead simply folding to you because they fear you), and checkraising him on this turn will help towards doing just that. On this board texture (coupled with the PF action) I really don't see him holding that many hands that will three bet you, so even if you're behind it's only costing you one more BB than check calling the turn and river, and if he folds to the turn checkraise this will go miles towards helping you learn that you can steal future pots off this guy -- pots that will be immensely more valuable than the .75BB-.8BB it costs you when you're behind on the turn and do checkraise.

Plus he will maybe even call you down with a worse hand simply out of curiosity (and knowing you're an online player and as such we have a rep for bluffing/spewing too much). Plus he might be winning and you river him anyway and it might momentarily tilt him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, say you c/r him on the turn and he calls you down and now you show this hand. Regardless of whether you won the pot or not, now automatically he is going to fear your turn checks more and check behind more often (AND not make it past the flop without a piece of the board as often), so, you can assume for the next hour in future spots if he does bet the turn, you can fold more often if say you had JJ instead of Ah8h, while all the while, lets say 30 minutes later you flop a set OOP vs him and he calls you on the flop, now you can c/r him AGAIN on the turn if the turn puts a flush/straight redraw out there and he's more likely to 3bet you with TPGK because he saw you c/r weak before when you picked up a redraw (and we know it's more likely he's going to bet the turn if we check because we have pacified him into calling/betting when he has it thanks to the A8 turn c/r that he saw), so now you get yourself excessive action with your monsters.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM

If my numbers are right, there's $2800 in the pot on the river and you have to call $300. You lose 9 times it's $2700. You win once it's $2800.

The question of whether or not a high stakes winning pro would bet a worse hand here 1 in 10 seems like a no brainer. Your line seems like the simplest and cheapest way to take advantage of that.

Hijack alert - I'm trying to think of hands he calls 3 cold with 5 handed instead of capping, and I figure AQ/99-JJ.

I've been thinking a lot about the merits of saving bets just coldcalling vs the merits of always re-raising if you're going to play. I've been re-raising much more than ever lately and find it always makes the hand easier to play. The plays are now made against you to see where they're at, vs you trying to do the same when you've been capped.

I wonder how likely you'd have been to check/call it down had he capped it?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Nit point...5 bets is the cap at Bellagio. So 4-betting opens up the possibility of being raised again.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Does everybody agree with reraising a solid playing EP preflop with only A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
If so, why?