Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 PM

Default 40-80 Hand at Taj Mahal

Very action packed game at the Taj Mahal. I have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB. One limper, folded to the cutoff, a regular who usually plays decently who also limps. The button limps, I call and the BB checks. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, BB checks, limper checks, cutoff bets, button folds and I raise. Folded to the limper who now 3-bets. He seems pretty aggro. The button caps it and we both call. The turn card is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, cutoff checks, button bets and I raise again. Now the cutoff folds and the button calls. The river is the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Your play? What about the rest?

Jeff
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: 40-80 Hand at Taj Mahal

Flop: GOOD

Turn: GOOT

River: BARF

~stephen
Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM

check/call and lose. i'd really like to fold here but it looks so bad.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 PM

checkfold the river unless this guy is aggro AND will likely fold 89 to a river bet.
the rest of the hand looks good.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 PM

I really like the turn raise because it really defines your hand. If you get raised again you've got to be beat unless he is super aggro. I was originally going to say c/c the river, but I don't see how you will win that way, so if you're going to check it I think you need to fold to a bet, however I think I bet the river trying to push him off a better hand although I don't know if he is folding often enough to make it worth it. Your play has been pretty consistent with what appears to have turned into a FH though so maybe he will fold. If he has a J he will let you know and I think you need to fold unless this guy is just a maniac.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]always fold face up in these situations... not so ppl will pity your bad beat, but to keep your image intact... flip over your hand and say "dont think i didnt have anything..."
Old 10-11-2005, 04:33 AM

yeah the hand went from great to terrible real quick. I weckon you're up against a Jack at least. fold somehow, rest is fine.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]always fold face up in these situations... not so ppl will pity your bad beat, but to keep your image intact... flip over your hand and say "dont think i didnt have anything..."

[/ QUOTE ]

wait... so you'd rather they think you had what you had than what you didn't have? that makes no sense. let them think you had a draw
Old 10-11-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait... so you'd rather they think you had what you had than what you didn't have? that makes no sense. let them think you had a draw

[/ QUOTE ]why would i want them to think that?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:27 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

because you wouldn't play the hand that way. I feel like you'd rather your opponents thing things that are wrong. unless you're really good at taking advantage of a tight image and adjusting your game to it, you'd rather them think things that are wrong.

as an extreme example (not so extreme for most), you played the same no matter whether you were winning, losing, had shown down lots of strong hands, put in a lot of bets with losers, etc. you would benefit most from your opponents thinking things that are wrong, like you pumped the [censored] out of 98 or played an overpair that weird

I'm not claiming this is right. just how I view the situation. I know some people are great at taking advantage of a tight image. I think it was gonores who once told me in a session he played super tight for the first few hours and was able to pick up lots of stray pots later on because of it. if you can do that, then I'd see why you want them to know that you had a strong hand.