Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Default BillyJex is a punk

I started this hand with a mountain of chips, 110k with the blinds at 750/1500. We are in the money with about 170 players left. I'm chip leader and second in chips probably has about 80k.

CO open limps and I limp the button with 64o. I have chips, I have position, I am planning on winning this pot postflop a lot, even against 2 or 3 opponents. SB calls, and Billyjex in the BB checks. Flop comes 345 of hearts, I have no hearts. 3 checks and I bet 4k into the 6k pot. SB folds, and Billyjex moves in for 38k more. So I have to call 38k to win 48k. Ranges and thoughts? You can disagree with the limp if you want, but I'm ok with it and don't think its particularly interesting.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: BillyJex is a punk

i think you made a great call
Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 PM

I'd love to hear how you plan on winning this hand post-flop against a few players if any are even remotely aggressive. Are you just going to put them all-in and see how committed they are? Broad question but . . .

As far as his range, I'd say 88-22, Ah6-Ah3, Kh6-Kh3, 65-32, 64-53, 63. My guess is he has at least one heart. You're 50/50 against that range. You're getting decent odds and have some chips to spare. You want to show people that if they push into a pot your in they are risking their stack. Call.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:12 PM

The SB was passive, the CO would fold if he didnt hit his hand, that just left the punk. I cant take it down by betting the flop sometimes. I can take it down by calling a flop bet and taking it on the turn sometimes, and I can take it down occasionally by hitting a nice hand. Having a huge amount of chips against players with about 20x-30x is a great spot to be in. They don't want to play with a big stack because they don't feel short and would rather avoid confrontation than try and double up.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 PM

I put him on a slowplayed overpair. *eyes dart around*

What, you can't prove anything.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm having a hard time putting him on a range, though I'd expect to see overcards and lone hearts most of the time I called. Hands like 9h6x or Ah3x. I don't think it's too often you'll be up in totally crap shape vs like 7h7x but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Most people would probably fold here. Then there's this: [ QUOTE ]
I have chips, I have position, I am planning on winning this pot postflop a lot

[/ QUOTE ] You're happy enough with your chip position to limp in with any 2 and play the situation and the players. You can't expect they're going to make it easy for you to win the hand every time, and apparently your opponent is a player capable of putting you to a tough decision. It looks to me like you've got about 65K left if you call and lose, with your preflop philosophy in mind, it seems apropriate to gamble on the flop, although I doubt it's correct mathematically.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The SB was passive, the CO would fold if he didnt hit his hand, that just left the punk. I cant take it down by betting the flop sometimes. I can take it down by calling a flop bet and taking it on the turn sometimes, and I can take it down occasionally by hitting a nice hand. Having a huge amount of chips against players with about 20x-30x is a great spot to be in. They don't want to play with a big stack because they don't feel short and would rather avoid confrontation than try and double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you mean about putting pressure on the smaller stacks, but i still don't understand why limping here is better than raising.

With hands such as 9T or something i can see limping, but with 6-4o if im going to play that i at least want to cut down the field and represent something better with trash.

if your going to play these hands here, wouldn't you rather limp hands that at least a decent chance to win a showdown, and raise the ones that don't?? i dunno.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Can I say I like your limp better with 65o or 86o? But yeah, whatever.

I don't like your flop bet (lots of things call, you don't really want to bet most turns if you get called but you don't really want to check either, and a checkraise makes you puke) but you bet and billy shoves. He knows it's you so you can have anything on the button, and he knows he probably can't outplay you out of position. He also knows you make big, seemingly crappy calls sometimes just like every other player who plays like you. What's he have?

For one, unless he has exactly 43 or better he has to have a decent heart. He also probably paired, unless he has the ace and some other card he thinks is good (so something like Ah Jx). You're even against 2 pair, an unpaired heart with an overcard or a heart with a 6 or a 4, and a massive dog against Ah 5x, an overpair with a heart or anything else realistic in his range.

I think you just barely have odds to call vs. his range (and no way do I put him on that exact hand) but given the situation and the fact that you're chip leader and losing gives you an equal 2+2 stack to your left, I think I muck this.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your flop bet (lots of things call, you don't really want to bet most turns if you get called but you don't really want to check either, and a checkraise makes you puke)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem betting the turn and folding to a c-raise if somebody calls my flop bet. That's exactly what I would do.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you just barely have odds to call vs. his range (and no way do I put him on that exact hand) but given the situation and the fact that you're chip leader and losing gives you an equal 2+2 stack to your left, I think I muck this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt the fact that I'm chip leader (and that even if i lose im still top 10 in chips) argue for calling not folding.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM

hmmm, there's a reason you made it to a WSOP final table isnt there. Although I'm not sure I agree its not mathematically correct.