Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Default So how\'s Kerry gonna increase your income?

I just heard portion of a speach by Kerry proclaiming that he will "increase wages" and "lower the cost of health care" if he's elected. Of course there was no mention of HOW he would accomplish this.

Anyone have a clue how he plans to increase every American's wage and reduce all of our health insurance premiums? Does he have a magic wand or something?

Kerry has said repeatedly that he will increase taxes which will always reduce the dollars in our bank accounts. I enjoyed the tax cuts by Bush, which increased the number of dollars in my bank account. And I'm not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination (the old, tired liberal line of class warfare BS is a myth and lie, cleverly packaged as a false "issue" by Democrats - nothing new there).

I realize that Kerry is "anyone but Bush" and he'll get many, many of his votes because of that reason alone, but I don't see how simply not being Bush will increase everybody's income and/or lower our health insurance premiums.

Now, if Kerry promised to increase my BB/100 hands rate, that would be a remarkable feat indeed. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: So how\'s Kerry gonna increase your income?

Did he say that we will "increase wages" as you quoted or that he will "increase every American's wage" as you summarized?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:57 PM

"Kerry has said repeatedly that he will increase taxes"

Kerry has said repeatedly that he will NOT increase taxes on the 98% of the population with incomes below $200,000/year. It is his opponents who have lied about what he has said and claim that he is runing on a platform of increasing taxes.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:04 PM

He's also stated that he'll cut the deficit in half I believe. Given his economic policy the other day I don't see how that will happen. It doesn't matter though and quite frankly talking about Kerry's economic policy is probably a silly excercise. If Kerry's elected he'll be lucky if he gets any tax increase through Congress IMO. FWIW I think the Democrats getting control of Congress is a long shot. Kerry will have the veto power as his most effective policy tool if he's elected.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:05 PM

From Kerry's article in the Wall Street Journal:

My economic plan will do the following: (1) Create good jobs, (2) cut middle-class taxes and health-care costs, (3) restore America's competitive edge, and (4) cut the deficit and restore economic confidence.

Under my plan, the tax cuts would be extended and made permanent for 98% of Americans. In addition, I support new tax cuts for college, child care and health care -- in total, more than twice as large as the new tax cuts President Bush is proposing.

I await documentation of your claim that he has repeatedly said he will increase taxes.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:07 PM

Don't most presidential candidates offer their own concoction of "voodoo" economics? (I'm gonna cut taxes and cut the deficit.)

I agree with your take on what Kerry would most likely be facing in Congress were he elected.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I await documentation of your claim that he has repeatedly said he will increase taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hold your breath. That guy's user id is a bit too appropriate.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kerry says: [ QUOTE ]
(2004-02-16) -- Democrat presidential frontrunner John Forbes Kerry, who favors raising taxes on families that earn more than $200,000 annually, said today that "ordinary American families don't need that kind of loot."

"There's no legitimate reason why a commoner needs that much cash," said the multimillionaire Senator who married the heiress of the Heinz food fortune. "Joe and Sally Sixpack would just waste the money on bland food, mall-store clothing, cookie-cutter homes, tacky decorative items and education for their mediocre spawn."

Mr. Kerry said that raising taxes on anyone who crosses the $200,000 threshold would "disincentify common folks from earning too much" thus reducing the demand for "crass products."

"Higher taxes on such people will help prevent the debasing of our culture and put us on the road to becoming more like Europe," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001587.html
Old 09-17-2004, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't most presidential candidates offer their own concoction of "voodoo" economics? (I'm gonna cut taxes and cut the deficit.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much but most lie about taxes as well. GWB and Ronnie Reagan didn't although Reagan's tax reform in 1986 could be debated. I'm going with what I know regarding taxes as Bush has a proven record. Sorry I don't trust Kerry at all.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much but most lie about taxes as well. GWB and Ronnie Reagan didn't although Reagan's tax reform in 1986 could be debated. I'm going with what I know regarding taxes as Bush has a proven record. Sorry I don't trust Kerry at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tax revenues went up every year during the 1980's. It wasn't Ronald Reagan's cut on marginal tax rates that caused the huge budget deficit. It was the out of control spending by the Democratic Congress.