Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: How to handle it

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless the guy is a jerk...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it help you all to know that I know who this guy is, and that he's definitely a 100% total prick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting you say that because that was totally the opposite impression I got.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: results

Well, for sure, against angle shooters, BK's method is just fine. But most unknowns are not angle shooters, so Tommy's method seems better to me regardless of the limits you are playing. Don't forget that the reverse situation could occur in just a few minutes time i.e. BK's bluff may be called by this guy and BK could just say 'I missed" and the other chap will likely do the Tommy thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker isn't about making friends, it's about making money.

[/ QUOTE ]

All other things being equal, a friendly game {or just a normal game without built in hostilities] is a more profitable game.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 PM

What might be "a lot of money" to me might not mean much to you. So we might then act differently given our different perceptions of what is "a lot of money."

I consider myself a very tough player. I don't give away information and I strive to get as much of it as I can from my opponents. But when my opponent, in any stakes game, says "king high" and I know I have it beat, I show my hand. Because it's what I want him to do. And when they know I'm a fair guy, no matter how tough I play, they treat me fairly. So that when I say "King high" they don't ask to see my second card. An added benefit of doing the right thing.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said king-high, I sat there, unresponsive. He said king-high again and I did the "roll it over" motion and he disgustingly turned over King ten of hearts, I showed my hand and took the pot.

I agree it's a little bit rude perhaps, but if he wants to see my hand it's only fair if he shows his.

I guess I am in the minority here, but while playing with an unknown in a strange land, in a big game doing anything but what bk did i dont think would be right. He gets to see my hand I want to see his. If he doesnt want to show his hand thats his right. And im sure most people would agree I am the opposite of nit/serious guy at the table.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM

I would bet that a guy doing this in the 150-300 game in Vegas is an ass. This is a general rule I have regarding high-limit Vegas regulars. That's why I have no problem doing it here. It would be obvious to me if I were there, since it's about 90% clear to me sitting in a basement lab 1000 miles away.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:56 PM

I am not nearly as familiar with live etiquette as many people here, but aren't you being a bit harsh El D.? If he wants to declare his hand to show it down, why not just turn it over? BK has a right to know what he has if he wants to show the hand down, and it seems like relevant information for future hands. If BK shows his hand immidiatley and the guy mucks, is that fair to him?

I just think you come down a bit hard on him, from all my interactions with him he is a good guy who respects the game. At worst here, i think he guilty of not being the "mature one", but i dont think this was an A-hole move.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To each his own. I'd rather not irritate other players and have anyone think I'm a nit a-hole. But, we all play for different reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I respect what you say here D, I think that a huge part of the game of poker is the fact that we are able to deviate and be an a-hole sometimes.

If you sat down at a table and were able to manipulate your opponent by being someone of a little prick, yet still strongly abide by the playing rules, would you consider this to be wrong?

Lawrence
Old 11-10-2005, 04:30 PM

I'm not El Diablo, but I would say abso-Fing-lutely. What BK did above doesn't bother me specifically. But it you are at the table trying to be a prick as part of your "game", you are an angle-shooter imo.

- Jim
Old 11-10-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To each his own. I'd rather not irritate other players and have anyone think I'm a nit a-hole. But, we all play for different reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I respect what you say here D, I think that a huge part of the game of poker is the fact that we are able to deviate and be an a-hole sometimes.

If you sat down at a table and were able to manipulate your opponent by being someone of a little prick, yet still strongly abide by the playing rules, would you consider this to be wrong?

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has their own way of playing. To your last question, there have been many times when I could rile up a nice guy and get him to go on monkey tilt. I've never done that. On the flip side, I have indeed been a prick to real jerks at the table, especially those abusive to the nicer, passive players at the table.

These are not necessarily questions of right or wrong. It's just how I choose to play the game. You and others are free to play however you like, and as long as it's within the rules, of course that's your right.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What might be "a lot of money" to me might not mean much to you. So we might then act differently given our different perceptions of what is "a lot of money."

I consider myself a very tough player. I don't give away information and I strive to get as much of it as I can from my opponents. But when my opponent, in any stakes game, says "king high" and I know I have it beat, I show my hand. Because it's what I want him to do. And when they know I'm a fair guy, no matter how tough I play, they treat me fairly. So that when I say "King high" they don't ask to see my second card. An added benefit of doing the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% w/ Mr. Fox.