Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Mid pair hands are why I call down too much.

UTG is an overly aggressive 40/12/1.8 after 32 hands, and called down too much. Seen him bluff raise a few turns and get called down. CO was a horrible idiot. Hands similar to this seem to be a problem where I've got midpair holdings that are maybe worth seeing a showdown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 13 BB

Anything wrong with flop play, seeing the turn? I'm not used to guys continually semibluffing their draws, and it's putting off my WtSD game.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Mid pair hands are why I call down too much.

I see no problems with the way you played the hand.

Getting to the showdown less is a normal concern with these type of players in the game. One way to counter that is to tighten up your preflop standards slightly against these guys. Also, keep in mind that when you have a good enough hand and do get to the showdown, the pot sizes will make up for it on your wins.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:53 PM

against the 2 players you describe i don't see anything wrong with checking the turn and seeing what develops since betting and being raised would be uncomfortable. i assume you were going to check call turn and river for 1 bet each?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
against the 2 players you describe i don't see anything wrong with checking the turn and seeing what develops since betting and being raised would be uncomfortable. i assume you were going to check call turn and river for 1 bet each?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be hard-pressed to call the river if I'm ever overcalling, but pretty much yes.