Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How can a site defend against this?

[ QUOTE ]
Is is even technically posible for party to provide a workaround for the hacker mafia DOS problem? Mirror sites? Authentification (that the pc requesting information has actually dowloaded party software)? Some other method?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no real workaround to totally prevent DDOS attacks. Mirror sites could help for a while, but since the information about mirror sites has to be stored somewhere, the information is also accessible to malicious parties.

No authentication system can help currently, since the attack is done on a lower level. There is no authentication needed to send traffic to an IP address.

In the future, when the whole Internet supports IPsec, a sort of authentication could be possible. However, I wouldn't count on this happening in the next 10 years.

But concerning today's server crash, it doesn't look like a DDOS attack, since there is always a "Connection refused" message sent by the server when I'm trying to connect. This wouldn't happen during a DDOS attack, since my initial connection attempt wouldn't reach the server.

It simply looks like that the server has really crashed, perhaps due to load from the tournaments?

- mongeron