Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Double-counting in Harrington vol I ?

I guess this has been posted here before but since I couldn't find it, here I go:

Harrington on Hold'em vol I page 272: "Don't make the mistake of double-counting"

on page 221: "With 17 outs (nine flush cards plus eight straight cards), he almost had the money outs for a proper call on fourth street" (holding 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with a board of T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]).

Am i missing something here [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have the latest edition (Dec 2005) by the way, so I guess this hasn't made it's way to the errata yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Double-counting in Harrington vol I ?

I'm in the middle of reading this book too, and I see your point.

Usually when there's a straight draw and a flush draw, that comes to 15 outs.

In defense of page 221, it looked like an ancillary comment to justify why the opponent might be hanging around the hand, and not essential to the primary analysis of how the reader should play the hand.

On page 272, the hand at issue involves a straight flush draw, which might provoke more pointedly the overlap of straight cards and flush cards. But again, that's 15 outs, not 17.