Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Run Dick Run - the 2008 question

It will be interesting to pull this out in 2008.

I think Howard Dean really believes he deserves to be president. At the very lease he’ll do New Hampshire and Iowa.

Hillary will run – no question, that’s what all this has been leading up to. The only fly in the ointment is that Howard Dean replaced Terry McCaliuf. The only question I have is will she unload Bill before or after.

I live in Virginia – Mark Warner is no “moderate”; he’s a true tax and spend Democrat liberal. I hope he doesn’t run because I agree he’ll be tough to beat.

I just don’t see Bill Frist throwing his hat in the ring – I think he wants to retire and go back to practice while he’s still fairly young. But don’t be surprised to see him try for another term.

I really think Al Sharpton will garner the votes to force the Dems to take him seriously, or at least give him some major party juice.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Do you honestly think the Dems would risk running Kerry again?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly think the Dems would risk running Kerry again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the deluded ones think he won.

Re-Elect Kerry in 2008. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Virginia – Mark Warner is no “moderate”; he’s a true tax and spend Democrat liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not going to argue about this since you probably know more about VA poltics than me... but I know a true Democratic insider who knows a LOT about VA politics that says otherwise. I'll just leave it at that.

To be fair, I do take issue with many of "on the issues" rankings of left right.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:47 PM

Primary Runners only.

Democrats:
Hillary Clinton (hooray for mindless nepotism, contender even w/o the last name)
Joe Biden (cowtows to Republicans too much, dead by NH)
John Kerry (see Lieberman 2004, dead by Super Tuesday)
Russ Feingold (Kucinich's platform + Dean's grassroots = fizzles out by March)
Wesley Clark (Dear Wesley, please declare that you're running a little sooner this time. Contender, especially in the South)
John Edwards (His daddy worked for a mill owner? Electable, but probably can't get nominated due to inexorable link to Kerry. Democratic AG?)
Al Gore (A fresh start? He's not out until he's not in, and Dems will probably be more forgiving to his second chance than to Mr. Skull 'n' Bones.)

Republicans:
Bill Frist (Name rep, experience, and not a blatant Bush lackey. Contender.)
George Allen (Smells like a contender but I don't know a lot about him.)
John McCain (Doesn't appeal to fundies and doesn't suck up on command. Contender, but probably can't get nomination.)
Rudy Giulani (9/11 9/11 9/11...but I anticipate he'll probably run for Gov. of NY instead)
Jeb Bush (Does the country really want a Bush behind the desk for four out of six terms? Also, Schiavo Schiavo Schiavo. Doubtful.)
Bobby Jindal (I feel obligated to point out that yes, he's a rising star in the GOP, but he's still too young/inexperienced for the head job yet. 2016 perhaps?)
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby Jindal (I feel obligated to point out that yes, he's a rising star in the GOP, but he's still too young/inexperienced for the head job yet. 2016 perhaps?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yr right. No way Jindhal is running for President. I think he would make a GREAT VP candidate though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
actually that might be some of the rap against him -- that he IS a Bush lackey (see his actions yesterday as one example). However, that won't hurt him so much in the primaries.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yr right. No way Jindhal is running for President. I think he would make a GREAT VP candidate though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
actually that might be some of the rap against him -- that he IS a Bush lackey (see his actions yesterday as one example). However, that won't hurt him so much in the primaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong here - I was typing this up late at night. I don't pay that much attention to politics but merely believed that Frist was more of a generic Fundamentalist-friendly person than a "Bush lackey", but I don't know.

As for Jindal, I'd dare say he doesn't have the depth to be a VP yet - in 2008 he has less than two House terms total? Remember how people were jumping down John Edwards' throat for only having one Senate term? I'd sooner think someone like Chuck Hagel or Rick "Don't call me Dick" Santorum would get the nod, nominee-dependent of course.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:50 PM

After some thought - I think Bill Frist will only run for Pres if he runs again for the Senate in 06. This is the same issue that Hillary Clinton faces. If they lose or retire, they will be out of the public eye for 2 years.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Add:

David Dreier, Republican (CA) (out early, then makes the VP list, then forgotten after losing his House seat)

I'd like to see Edwards vs. McCain.

I'd hate to see Clinton vs. Bush (except for the fun coverage)

Your "makes the ticket" prediction would be a very tough and unpleasant decision for me.

-ptmusic
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see Edwards vs. McCain.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just Democrat vs Democrat

[ QUOTE ]
I'd hate to see Clinton vs. Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too