Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Big wads of cash

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One time I got a fanny pack and put it under my shirt/jacket against my stomach. Worked for me.

If you carry that much cash on a plane though, do you have to claim it or something? I'm not sure what the rate is, it might be like 10k though

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be a pain getting through customs with this much cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think claim is the right word. You have to declare it there is a form for it, andthe threshold is 10k. Also you have to fill out the form both ways, leaving and entering the US.

Cash includes travelers checks.

So the OP is fine with his 6k. But if you carry 10k you need to fill out Customs Form 4790. It probably has different number now, though, with the migration of Customs to the Department of Homeland Security. Failure to fill out the form may result in losing all that money (or travelers checks.)

I don't see any reason why you would be hassled about it at customs though.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that he Can't have that much cash without declaring it. Its that it makes him look suspicous. Who carries 6k in cash these days? 1. Gamblers. 2. Drug Dealers. 3. Terrorists (who can't get a bank account, so they have to do everything in cash). 4. Illegal immigrants (same thing about the bank account).
Old 11-25-2005, 06:32 PM

Dude, why worry about packing it away? Flaunt that wealth!

Old 11-25-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One time I got a fanny pack and put it under my shirt/jacket against my stomach. Worked for me.

If you carry that much cash on a plane though, do you have to claim it or something? I'm not sure what the rate is, it might be like 10k though

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be a pain getting through customs with this much cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think claim is the right word. You have to declare it there is a form for it, andthe threshold is 10k. Also you have to fill out the form both ways, leaving and entering the US.

Cash includes travelers checks.

So the OP is fine with his 6k. But if you carry 10k you need to fill out Customs Form 4790. It probably has different number now, though, with the migration of Customs to the Department of Homeland Security. Failure to fill out the form may result in losing all that money (or travelers checks.)

I don't see any reason why you would be hassled about it at customs though.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that he Can't have that much cash without declaring it. Its that it makes him look suspicous. Who carries 6k in cash these days? 1. Gamblers. 2. Drug Dealers. 3. Terrorists (who can't get a bank account, so they have to do everything in cash). 4. Illegal immigrants (same thing about the bank account).

[/ QUOTE ]

Since gambling is not illegal there shouldn't be any problems declaring on the way back in to the US if he wins and has 10k or more. If they are still suspicious he should just show them his tourney entry forms, etc. Actually, if he wins big he should wire xfer the money back home to avoid all the possible fuss at the airports.

If he's really looking to get back in with more cash under the radar there's always the chocolate railroad route. (sorry, I couldn't resist). [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Kramer: ...see here's what you need. Just a couple of cards and your bankroll.
See, keep the big bills on the outside.

Jerry: That's a five.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend a large burlap sack with a dollar sign printed on the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha ha ha ha

Thanks, made my night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 02:34 AM

I have carried $15,000 through US customs and filled out the forms required. They didn't bother me for a second. Just "you've checked this box. fill out this form. (brief glance) Thank you, go."