Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Default 15/30: Tough spot w/ TT in multiway pot

15/30 Hollywood Park.

Even moreso than other days, this game is playing like a slightly more aggressive 3/6 game. No real reads on anyone at the table, just know it's real loose.

PREFLOP:
2 EP limpers, MP1 raises, 2 LP cold callers, SB calls, I look down at two black tens. I look around and see that there are still two players with only one bet in the pot, so i raise because as loose as this game is, people will fold in that spot a decent amount of the time. everyone calls to the SB who caps it. This means absolutely nothing. Everyone calls. As you can see, this is a pretty good game.

FLOP: J-2-2 r

4 checks, preflop raiser bets, 3 callers, i start thinking. This pot is HUGE. There is a chance i have the best hand. At this point, the only person who i think might have a jack is the guy who bet out, but he was also the preflop raiser, so who knows, maybe he thinks his 88 could be good. I call. 2 folds.

Turn: J-2-2-Q
I check/fold... But wait, it checks around. I start praying for a river.

River: J-2-2-Q-T
There is a god. I bet and 3-bet if i get raised since AK also just got there.

Weird hand. I'm most interested in preflop and flop. Turn is the easiest street. I also can't see any other way to play the river. So my questions are:
-Is the preflop 3-bet right?
-Should i just call and hope to hit a set?
-Do I have to fold on the flop?
-Is the pot big enough that even if someone shows me a jack in their hand i still have pot/implied odds enough to justify a call looking for a set?
-Anything else i'm missing here?

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 15/30: Tough spot w/ TT in multiway pot

I would probably raise the flop since this pot is so huge and I don't have to be winning even the majority of the time for this raise to be right. Plus I like to raise.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably raise the flop since this pot is so huge and I don't have to be winning even the majority of the time for this raise to be right. Plus I like to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i'm in the BB. So, you would bet out or check-raise after 3 people have already called?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 PM

Preflop I like just calling with your pocket Tens. Even if a raise gets the two EP limpers to fold, you are still facing 4 opponents (and it appears that the game is so loose that you are going to have to show down the best hand to win this pot -- which usually means that you are going to have to catch another Ten).
The flop is not too bad for you. Given the size of the pot I think that you should bet right out; with the PFR behind them you pressure the two EP limpers to fold (and if the PFR raises the flop, the field may be significantly narrowed given this board).

-- Manzanita
Old 11-21-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Is the preflop 3-bet right?
-Should i just call and hope to hit a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer a call because of the reason stated by a previous poster. You're against enough opponents where you're basically playing for set value. I don't hate the 3-bet though.
[ QUOTE ]
-Do I have to fold on the flop?
-Is the pot big enough that even if someone shows me a jack in their hand i still have pot/implied odds enough to justify a call looking for a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot is large enough to chase for a set, but you're not closing the action, so you need to be pretty sure that the EP guys aren't going to raise. Even with a raise though, you're getting over 14:1 on your money, so I guess it's still ok.
[ QUOTE ]
-Anything else i'm missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that I can see. I like the way it was played, except that I prefer a preflop call.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 PM

ADRIANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! I think after you won the hand you should have jumped on top of the table and started dancing, then telling the guy who raised the river what a donkey he was, then taking everyone who came with you to HP to a strip club and buying them all lap dances. Thats just my opp. though.
Odom