Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Was this the right move?

$7,500 guarantee at Bodog. I had about 1200T with blinds at 50/100. I was dealt 72o on the button and it was folded to me so I raised 3x the BB and got called by the BB. Flop was 567 and the BB went all in with KQo and I called and won. Two orbits later with blinds at 100/200 I have 2300T and I have A7o on the button and again its folded to me. Now I'm thinking if I raise the BB will probably push with any reasonable holding if not anything at all after seeing me raise with the 72o. I did raise, he did go all in (with 200T less than me) and I called. He showed A8o and won the pot. Should I have put my tournament on the line with the A7 there thinking he would push with something as bad as J9 or something like that? I'm pretty sure I made the right move as I was getting low on chips and needed to make a move somewhere. If our stacks were deeper then what do you do?? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Was this the right move?

A7 ain't bad, but it ain't all that either. If you're planning on calling a push, I'd just push anyway. He very well may fold hands that have you beat, and you probably don't want to play a hand with J9s either.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 46.3942 % 46.18% 00.21% { J9s }
Hand 2: 53.6058 % 53.40% 00.21% { A7o }
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 AM

As a first post I rate this a "B". Poster has thanked us in advance, but has not mentioned appreciation for the boards or a desire to join the 2+2 community. The post is interesting, though poorly presented. This post had "A" potential, and with a simple re-write, it would merit that grade.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$7,500 guarantee at Bodog. I had about 1200T with blinds at 50/100. I was dealt 72o on the button and it was folded to me so I raised 3x the BB and got called by the BB. Flop was 567 and the BB went all in with KQo and I called and won. Two orbits later with blinds at 100/200 I have 2300T and I have A7o on the button and again its folded to me. Now I'm thinking if I raise the BB will probably push with any reasonable holding if not anything at all after seeing me raise with the 72o. I did raise, he did go all in (with 200T less than me) and I called. He showed A8o and won the pot. Should I have put my tournament on the line with the A7 there thinking he would push with something as bad as J9 or something like that? I'm pretty sure I made the right move as I was getting low on chips and needed to make a move somewhere. If our stacks were deeper then what do you do?? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your hand is marginal enough that if you expect the BB to make a play at you, I'd give him a different look and move in. If he's paying attention to your earlier play, then your raise admits the possibility that you don't have a hand. I don't think your hand is good enough to be getting like 1.1 to 1 on his pushing range, which is going to include some good hands. Especially with the ace- you know he's going to push any ace and 1/2 of the possible aces dominate yours. If you are going to take a stand here, I think you want to give the BB the hardest decision possible and the possibility to make the largest mistake--push.