Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Could someone explain me what \"stop and go\" is

What is this "stop and go" I keep hearing about. Is it when you call a preflop raise from the blinds and go all in on the flop?

If that's correct, then

1) Why do this vs. going all in preflop?
2) When do you use this play?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Could someone explain me what \"stop and go\" is

If you don't have a great hand, but need the chips in the middle and are first to act...

This works because they villian is going to need to hit the flop or already have a large hand to call your AI on the flop. Also, if you think he will call your allin then you are taking likely a 60/40 or 55/45. This elminates going to a showdown, most of the time the flop will miss you and your opponent.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:24 PM

It's either calling or making a raise with the plan on pushing any flop.
You typically do this with middle pairs or similar hands, assuming you're up against overcards, etc. and that way they may fold when they miss the flop where they would have easily called your reraise PF.
It basically tries to take the last two cards away from your opponent and may make him fold the best hand (if he has a higher PP and overcards flop).
Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM

Only calling, not making a raise. If you raise, you open yourself up to a reraise, which is exactly what you don't want.

The 1-Table Forum SNG FAQ has a definition and this link to a classic FossilMan post should give you more info.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:35 PM

I thought it wasn't that you were afraid of the other guy reraising, it was that your reraise would be all-in and he would call it PF in a second. This way you have a shot at taking it down if he whiffs on the flop.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:44 PM

They "stop and go" play can be a good play when you are short-stacked and works best when you are in one of the blinds. You can only run this play effectively if you are first to act after the flop because if the initial raiser is first to act after the flop, he is basically priced in and will have to call your all-in raise even if he has only two overcards. Whereas, if you push-in first, and he missed the flop, he has a lot of guessing to do and won't be priced into calling......
Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only calling, not making a raise. If you raise, you open yourself up to a reraise, which is exactly what you don't want.

The 1-Table Forum SNG FAQ has a definition and this link to a classic FossilMan post should give you more info.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is definitely not a SnG.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM

You can do a stop and go with any 2 cards. You do a stop and go in the following situation:

1) You will be the first to act on the flop.
2) You are going to bet all your chips on this hand.
3) However, you would prefer that your opponent folds rather than calls you.
4) You have no preflop folding equity.

Then you can do the stop and go.

For example, let's say that you have 1200 chips left before posting, you are in the big blinds, and the blinds are 200/400. You are dealt T8o. You decide that you have to make a stand. If somebody pushes, you are going to call their bet and hope for the best.

However, what happens is that nobody pushes. Instead, the button (who has you well covered) minraises to 800. The SB folds. Everybody else is out of the hand. It is your play. What do you do?

Well, you could push preflop. However, you have no preflop folding equity. Unless the button has been murdered or had a severe attack of diarrhea in the last few seconds, he is going to call your 400 chip raise.

So instead you call the raise, and then push your last 400 chips on the flop. 97-99% of the time, the button will call your push. However, he may not. For example, what if he has 22, and the flop is AKQ? He may think that there is no way he can win this pot and folds.

So the stop and go is a desperate play that slightly increases your chance of winning the pot in certain circumstances.

As an aside, many people think that the stop-and-go is a fancy play that only works against sophisticated and knowledgeable opponents. Actually, it works much better against fish who have no knowledge of this play and little understanding of pot odds.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is definitely not a SnG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exact same concept, however.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do a stop and go with any 2 cards. You do a stop and go in the following situation:

1) You will be the first to act on the flop.
2) You are going to bet all your chips on this hand.
3) However, you would prefer that your opponent folds rather than calls you.
4) You have no preflop folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]