Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Strategy for Sunday\'s 200k, 250+20 rebuy Empire tournament.

They are having their monthly 200k tourney this weekend and it is a 270 rebuy tourney. I have had some problems in the past with going nuts in rebuy tourneys and getting in them alot. I don't think that would be proper at all in this, and I don't want to blow 2-4 thousand in one tournament, lol.

So what will the proper strategy be for this? I'm sure there will be a ton of players who don't rebuy and don't addon.

I am thinking about rebuying to start, playing my normal game, rebuying if I ever go broke or get below 1k, and then adding on at the end of the hour. Is this too much of a money commitment for a tournament that probably half the players will be putting in just 1 buyin? Are the extra chips worth the 2x or 3x buyin? I can't really decide for myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Strategy for Sunday\'s 200k, 250+20 rebuy Empire tournament.

I hope that someone that has more knowledge of the higher buyin tourneys will respond to this, but I'll take a crack.

I just thought that it would be right to point out -- if it is correct strategy to rebuy at the start, if you drop below 1k, and addon at the end, in a smaller buyin tourney (lets say $30+3 for instance), I can't see how the buyin would change the fact that this is a correct strategy.

And, I know you've had some big tournament scores recently, but perhaps if you aren't willing to invest $1,000, possibly even more in this tournament, perhaps it's not a good idea to play? You don't want to put yourself at financial risk, or, alternatively, rebuy in a less than optimal fashion.

I just think that in a tournament like this, where a great deal of players won't be rebuying/adding on, the advantage given to those who have the financial cushion to add on as much as they need/desire will have a pretty significant advantage over those who are concerned about their bankroll.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:46 AM

I think the key in a situation where you're willing to rebuy but don't want to blow 30xbuyin is to make those slightly -EV calls where you get a big stack if you win. So like call a big bet on the river with TPTK on a 3 flush board where you would normally fold in a freezeout. Or call a raise for 10%-12% of your stack preflop with a small PP instead of capping yourself at 7%. That sort of thing.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope that someone that has more knowledge of the higher buyin tourneys will respond to this, but I'll take a crack.

I just thought that it would be right to point out -- if it is correct strategy to rebuy at the start, if you drop below 1k, and addon at the end, in a smaller buyin tourney (lets say $30+3 for instance), I can't see how the buyin would change the fact that this is a correct strategy.

And, I know you've had some big tournament scores recently, but perhaps if you aren't willing to invest $1,000, possibly even more in this tournament, perhaps it's not a good idea to play? You don't want to put yourself at financial risk, or, alternatively, rebuy in a less than optimal fashion.

I just think that in a tournament like this, where a great deal of players won't be rebuying/adding on, the advantage given to those who have the financial cushion to add on as much as they need/desire will have a pretty significant advantage over those who are concerned about their bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I am wondering if it might change is because you are giving an overlay to the other players and it doesn't seem like you get as much out of it as compared to a 11 tourney where I open push every hand until I get a stack.

Believe me, I don't care to get in this tournament 1000 bucks at all if it is correct. I just said I don't want to blow 2-4000 in it because that seems unreasonable and stupid for the way this tournament will probably play out. I mean hell, I rebought 31 times in a 33r on party yesterday, LMAO.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Open-pushing every hand is a mistake in ANY buyin rebuy tournament, in my opinion. If you are making 31 rebuys, I think that is a hole in your game.

Yes, you want to take some risks in a rebuy tournament but let the others make the clear mistakes, not you.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I am wondering if it might change is because you are giving an overlay to the other players

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I mean hell, I rebought 31 times in a 33r on party yesterday, LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that your existing rebuy strategy isn't too concerned about giving the overlay. And in reality, I don't think you are giving them an overlay. If you're competing against opponents who generally aren't rebuying and this allows you to build a comparatively larger stack, the benefits of being able to be extra aggressive post-R&A with a big stack can probably give you enough extra EV share to make your investments worth it. Raymer had some old, old posts about why if you think you're better than the field you should always rebuy whenever you can, and pretty much always add-on. Somebody linked to them from an MTT thread not too long ago, I think; try searching posts from the last few months with Raymer or Fossilman and rebuy and you might find it.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Yes, that 31 rebuy tourney was a mistake, and the smaller rebuy tourneys are a leak in my game and I acknowledge it. I generally dont play that way, just sometimes to have fun or blow off some steam.

I usually dont play this way, only occasionally. I was just using that as an example of the fact that the entry to this tourney si of no concern to me. I am just wanting to know what the ideal strategy is for this kind of rebuy tournament.