Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Forpulte Katt (n/t)

n/t
Old 01-06-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Foreign languages at the tables?

I'm with Radio on this one. (I am danish myself, and in certain circumstances have chatted in danish, namely when something is "untranslateable".)

Really, if you want to collude its so easy to open a non-poker chatroom, and discuss it there. (I don't do it, but I sometimes go to dating chats while playing. Nothing ever comes of that.)

Ejnar Pik, Southern-Docks.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This morning, I was playing on a couple different tables with several scandanavians on them and noticed them occasionally speaking in their native language. One player requested english only and took some heat for pointing it out; I wasn't too thrilled either and was glad she stood her ground. This ended it on that table but a few minutes later it happened again on another table. It was my last hand before leaving so I didn't say anything about it.

What are your experiences with this? Does it bother you? Do you really think people would be so brazen as to collude in any language right in the chatbox?

FWIW- one of the guys called out by the other player said they were talking about a dentists appointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the reputable cardrooms, for the purpose of ensuring a fair game, have strick policies against the use of languages other than English during gameplay. In some cardrooms, like the ones in Prima, server warning messages about this policy frequently appear reminding players to use English only.

If it bothers you, write the aliases of the parties involved with a copy of the chat and send it to the relevant managers of whatever site it happens in. Party, for instance, takes this very seriously.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM

Does chatting in a non-English language violate the t&c? I can't find anything about it in e.g. Empire's t&c. (Haven't looked too closely though...)

Only this:

22. Abusive or Offensive Language.
Abusive or offensive language will not be tolerated in the chat or multi-player Games or with Company staff. Any violation of this policy will result in a suspension of playing privileges or such other action as may be required by Company to ensure compliance.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 AM

Lets face it Danish is a Abusive and an Offensive Language ;o)

I guess it differs from site to site, cryptologic used to have a ban every time foreign languages were spoken.

Right now I'm playing at Bet24 and in the chatbox is one thing written: Chat only in English, please!

Another thing, would you expect 2 danes could walk into Bellagio, sit down at the same table and speak danish?

I went to malmø and tried speaking Danish, usually danes and swedes understand each other, but one (losing) swede requested that only swedish or english were spoken at the table - I thereafter spoke english. Off course
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it bothers you, write the aliases of the parties involved with a copy of the chat and send it to the relevant managers of whatever site it happens in. Party, for instance, takes this very seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how bothered I am with it. The situation arose and it gave me some pause so I thought I'd start a discussion here and see what some others have to say. Part of my initial question was whether anyone believes that people would really be dumb enough to collude right in the chat box, where a transcript is kept. Some think yes, some say no and someone who was part of the conversation in question concedes that a player did reveal his hand (If danes actually call Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] "the dentist" and that's what he held).

I posted this here because I don't want to go around accusing people of shady dealings just because they choose to communicatate in their native language. While the players are in violation of the site's T&C, I wanted to get some other perspectives before contacting support in the future.

FWIW - I think that politely pointing it out and asking the players to stop is the most effective approach.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should they be forced to speak a foreign language like english if english isnt their native language ? They may not understand english and just because the USA speaks english does not mean the world has to! Its pathetic and paranoid to think they are cheeting, just get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 AM

I don't even think danes would be so dumb to collude right in the chatbox....

Another thing

... that a player did reveal his hand (If danes actually call Q 5 "the dentist" and that's what he held)....

You have just been hit by an example of a really lousy excuse of danish sense of humour [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
I have never heard of Q5s as a dentist..... usually its called "1 sort kvinde med 5 børn"
Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 AM

Is there much of a difference between the languages of Denmark, sweden, Norway and Iceland ? Id also imgaine Finland and lapland would be similar?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there much of a difference between the languages of Denmark, sweden, Norway and Iceland ? Id also imgaine Finland and lapland would be similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are much the same.

Finnish belongs to a very different family of languages. Its closest relative is actually Hungarian (Some Russian dudes went West back then. When they got to the Baltic See, some of them went North and settled in Finland, some went South and now live in Hungary).