Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Foreign languages at the tables?

This morning, I was playing on a couple different tables with several scandanavians on them and noticed them occasionally speaking in their native language. One player requested english only and took some heat for pointing it out; I wasn't too thrilled either and was glad she stood her ground. This ended it on that table but a few minutes later it happened again on another table. It was my last hand before leaving so I didn't say anything about it.

What are your experiences with this? Does it bother you? Do you really think people would be so brazen as to collude in any language right in the chatbox?

FWIW- one of the guys called out by the other player said they were talking about a dentists appointment.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Foreign languages at the tables?

in scandanavia, "dentist" is the nickname for Qs5s
Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in scandanavia, "dentist" is the nickname for Qs5s

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cbfair; I was at the same table and actually I was one of the "chatting Scandinavians". I usually chat in English but occasionally, when I run into another Dane, I might chat in Danish. On Paradise they only allow chat in English but does Empire have the same terms?

If you have a copy of the chat I'd be happy to translate everything...

About the dentist appointment: The other Dane was in fact going to the dentist and in fact he had Qs5s [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM

They may have been Danish Speaking Bots (DSBs, also know as Dirty Son's of Bitches)
Old 01-05-2005, 04:10 PM

I favour the pokersites to have a clear policy on this.
I feel really bad about playerchat in any other language than english. I'm a scandinavian myself (Danish), but have pointed out to other scandinavians to chat in english.

Lots of times on cryptologic, I have seen french-speaking canadians chatting in french - I really dislike it - but trying to be friendly I usually type "Its really a beautiful language, but will you please be so kind to talk english? Merci ;o)"

Being positive usually helps, and I havent met any rude remarks for pointing it out.

If I get rude remarks I will inform support, if no action are taken, I will re-consider playing there again.

But another thing: If people would cheat, they would use messenger instead!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 PM

Im also Danish. At cryptologic there is alot of people from Cyprus, Italy and Greek who constantly violates the rules. Its pointless to ask them to speak english cause they dont understand it, and Cryptologic has no support, so it cant be stopped. Shrug [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im also Danish. At cryptologic there is alot of people from Cyprus, Italy and Greek who constantly violates the rules. Its pointless to ask them to speak english cause they dont understand it, and Cryptologic has no support, so it cant be stopped. Shrug [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time it happens, cut and paste their text into www.freetranslation.com and see what you get. A quarter of the time the translation application will return nonsense, but the rest of the time you can get the gist of what was being discussed.

Even if the site won't do anything about these guys once you email them the translation, at least you'll know not to play at the cheaters' tables anymore.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 AM

I often encounter people speaking swedish at poker tables and have not once heard anything that is even close to colluding. It is always the same nonsensical table talk as in english.

Seems like people out to collude would have figured out a less transparent way to do it.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:06 AM

I e-mailed party yesterday because people were talking a foreign language at my table. They said it's illegal and to report anyone doing it. I don't know any other languages besides English and Spanish. I don't like to assume that people aren't cheating. From now on, I report people like that.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:39 AM

Why should they be forced to speak a foreign language like english if english isnt their native language ? They may not understand english and just because the USA speaks english does not mean the world has to! Its pathetic and paranoid to think they are cheeting, just get over it.