Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: AJo, UTG. suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I agree to that to some extent. But am i compleatly wrong to say that you wouldnt like a 10 handed pot if you hold cards like AJ o?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be - or I'm doing it all wrong (quite possible!).
I think that if you win more than you fair share, due to having the probable best hand, you want as many callers as possible. AJo will win more than 10% of the time against 9 players - so is +EV. Even if you lose 8/10, it's the correct play.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo is a hand you get a lot, and you want to avoid any -EV move in a situation you deal with a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I am being dense, it's late and I am tired, but how do you get AJo "a lot". Statistically it's no more likely to be dealt then any other starting hand. Am I missing something? I am thinking you meant, it's a hand when you're dealt you will almost always play?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 AM

AJo is an offsuit hand, hence you get it more often than pairs and suited hands. And it's the third best offsuit hand.
Anyway in games where there are lots of poor players who call with hands worse than AJ and wont make you pay when they outflop you or have you dominated (in other words, most online games at low limits), raising with AJ (and KQ) has to be the right play. The same can be said for ATs, KJs, 99, and possibly even more marginal hands like 88, QJs, A9s, and KTs.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo is an offsuit hand, hence you get it more often than pairs and suited hands. And it's the third best offsuit hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just behind AAo and KKo?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(This is as funny as it gets on a Friday morning -- sorry).
Old 11-12-2004, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just behind AAo and KKo?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(This is as funny as it gets on a Friday morning -- sorry).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant 3rd best non-paired non-suited hand. Which is accurate but may give the starting hand more credit than it's due.

The best sounding advice I've heard here seems to be to raise PF because I'm most likely ahead and any callers are probably paying me. Calling PF may not be -ev due to pot equity but it doesn't maximize my profit.

I called the river for one bet because I had been reading this thread and thought there was a reasonable chance I was ahead in a fairly large pot.

FWIW - BB had 89o for a flopped straight [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
MP2 had JQo.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Your conclusion of the situation seems to be right. As Ed Miller (I think he stated this) said, there are some hands that, no matter how bad you are, you can't screw up. AK, AA, KK, and even QQ are hands like this. AJo is certainly not in this catagory, but it's bordering on it. A call here is a fine (calling two cold is probably not...unless you think the raiser is on a steal), but raising will, ultimately, give you a bigger net gain.

Calling the river with top pair for one bet in a big pot is always the right play. Always. Every single time.

It sucks that he flopped a straight, but you really do want him in the pot if you raise. Obviously we all hate losing to hands like 89o, and raising will limit the number of guys who will call with this hand, but the fact is, if you had called a raise with that hand, you're making money - just not this particular time.

Alex
Old 11-12-2004, 03:36 PM

I'm very happy that you appreciated the post. It's intent was to help micro-ers with a concept that killed me for awhile, and I'm thrilled to see that some of you guys are getting use out of it. I think I might give it a bump in a few days.

Alex
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks that he flopped a straight, but you really do want him in the pot if you raise. Obviously we all hate losing to hands like 89o, and raising will limit the number of guys who will call with this hand, but the fact is, if you had called a raise with that hand, you're making money - just not this particular time.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not at all upset that he flopped a straight, or that he played it passively. The way I see it, if BB continues to play this way he's passing up great opportunities to capitalize on his good fortune. Sure, if he had shown some agression, I would have folded as I know I don't have them both beat; but he could just as easily been up against a big draw that wouldn't have folded to his bet/raise. I want BB at my table all the time.

I also see that a PF raise may have forced BB out which would have helped this time...
Old 11-12-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really read that right at first but I agree completely. In this case, I'm better off if BB calls the PFR even though I still would have lost this particular hand.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:07 PM

On a tightish table I raise this from EP.

On a loosish table I muck this from EP.