Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Default 10/20. JJ...river decision

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Villain is unknown.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 10/20. JJ...river decision

You need to bet this HU. He will call with K high sometimes, as well as any piece or pocket pair.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Spy, I realize villain here is on the SB and might just be capping for defense reasons, but I don't find there's that many king hands we beat. Against an unknown, I think we have to factor in AA-88, AKs-A9s, AK-AT, KQs-KTs, KQ-KJ, QJs and maybe a few other hands. I'm worried we're getting called down by a low ace or KK/QQ far too often here to make a bet worthwhile.

Also, what happens if we get raised on the river? A bet fold is alright, I guess, but I'd rather put the money in earlier in the hand to get some information. I raise this flop and bet/fold the turn. It lets us put in less money when we're behind to a medium hand that's not folding, such as KK or QQ, and get away from the hand when he's got something legit like AQ.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM

I check behind. I don't think he'll call K-high nor do I think he has some piece of the board that caps pf that we beat.
I think this is KK QQ JJ, a c/r attempt, maybe A9, AT more often than TT 77 66.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise this flop

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not the best line. Focus on winning the most when ahead, not just losing the least whe behind.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind. I don't think he'll call K-high nor do I think he has some piece of the board that caps pf that we beat.
I think this is KK QQ JJ, a c/r attempt, maybe A9, AT more often than TT 77 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

When an unknown Villian caps me preflop in a HU blind battle, I put him on 32o-AA. You cannot accurately put someone on a hand range when they are unknown. You probably have a WA/WB situation on the flop, but you don't want to raise and fold a worse hand that will keep bluffing. Also, if villian is smart, he will know that you probably don't have an Ace because you didn't raise the flop/turn. He would fear a check behind with any other hand, so he is likely to value bet his Ax hand 90% of the time. Because your call/call line makes it impossible for him to put you on a hand, he will call the river bet out of curiousity a good portion of time, even with King hi, but more likely some piece that he caught along the way.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this flop

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not the best line. Focus on winning the most when ahead, not just losing the least whe behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, I have no problem accepting I'm wrong here. what's the best way, in your opinion, to extract more money when you're ahead? Betting the river or raising the turn?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Best line imo is to call downa nd bet if checked to. In this case that would mean betting the river.