Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Was I suppose to value bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum.

Better hands will raise, but that doesn't mean the flush is out there. Worse hands probably will call your bet, and might even bluff the scare card.

I bet/call. But I think this hand warrants further discussion.

Good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I changed my mind.

There aren't many weaker hands that will call a bet from Hero, and there's more than just the flush that beats Hero and certianly could raise.

check

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get a call from Qx Jx 9x pocket pairs and suprisingly Ace high a lot of time against loose opponents. The most obvious hands that beat Hero are the flush and trip 6's both of which are pretty unlikely. It's very likely for fish to hold crappy pairs here.

My river play probably needs work because I don't see this as a close decision.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM

y'all,

even a lowly pair of 2's will probably put me on Ace high and call, or not put me on anything at all and call cause his "cards are so purty and they kind of almost are the same but they r a diffrent color n I cant fold thm I hav a pair I am good at pokar".

c'mon dudes, these are .5/1 players who have been calling, not 3/6 TAGs. we aren't going to get raised by a worse hand, a worse hand probably won't bet, but many many many worse hands will call. I'd venture to say your bet is good over 85% of the time when called.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a value bet as well... the question is, would you call a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot is at least 15BB and you're probably closing the action. Folding would be wrong for one bet.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call a raise, you led betting the entire way, they aren't going to raise you if they can't even beat top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/calling is better than bet/fold IMO.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll get a call from Qx Jx 9x pocket pairs and suprisingly Ace high a lot of time against loose opponents. The most obvious hands that beat Hero are the flush and trip 6's both of which are pretty unlikely. It's very likely for fish to hold crappy pairs here.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we aren't going to get raised by a worse hand

[/ QUOTE ]
You aren't folding to a raise? Against fishes calling this river for one bet would be easy. Hugh pot!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You aren't folding to a raise? Against fishes calling this river for one bet would be easy. Hugh pot!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dangerous thinking. Depending on the river action, you can't expect to show a profit bet/calling on this river. If you can't fold to a raise (which I'm pretty sure the OP can't do or else he would have bet), you need to check and call.

Brad
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 PM

I think, from worst to best, my options are:

bet-and-call-a-raise

when you bet, you're doing it on the tenet that your hand is better than the range of hands they will call with - and against loose passive players, this is certainly true. they will call with anything. but, after you correctly bet, if it is raised and it's one more bet to you, you have to call that bet based on whether or not your hand holds up against their range of raising hands in accordance with the pot odds you are getting. you have to kind of switch mindsets when you get raised, it goes from "hmm, what hands will he call with" to "what hands did he just raise with". that sounds obvious, but against a passive player both of those are vastly different ranges of hands. especially as an overcaller, you are screwed if a passive player raises you on this board.

check-call

this basically maximizes the chance that my hand gets to showdown for one bet after the scare card, as it is unlikely to go bet-raise by the players behind me. if so, easy fold. however, I think you miss a lot of value by checking.

bet-fold.

I like this one best, because a lot of the time you will not be raised, even by some better hands (a 6 might not raise for fear of the flush) and lots of crap will call.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was saying that we don't have to worry about getting bluff raised, and thus could fold.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dangerous thinking. Depending on the river action, you can't expect to show a profit bet/calling on this river. If you can't fold to a raise (which I'm pretty sure the OP can't do or else he would have bet), you need to check and call.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we have to be willing to fold if we bet? The pot is huge and the board paired. I find .50/1 players often play much worse and more aggressive when the board pairs.