Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Just how hot is 47C for a CPU?

It's a laptop, so I don't have many options to further cool it. How close to "too hot" is this? I beseech the case modders and overclockers of CTH.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Just how hot is 47C for a CPU?

That's far from hot. That's a very acceptable temperature. Many AMD's used to run at 60-70C a little while back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Thanks. This morning I was having reboots and shutdowns so I took the heatsink out and blew it out and put new compound on it. Seems to be hanging tough at 47 now, I didn't have a monitor on it when it was (apparently) overheating.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Are you using arctic silver? if not you should be. 47 is a little warm, but nothing to worry about. Mine is at 43 right now. I got it down to 24 before, although it was in a very cold garage with fans that sounded like a garage door opening. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 AM

you can easily look up what the max temp of your prossesor is
not sure if u said it was amd but it all depends on what proc it is and what ghz its at.....i also would not recomend OCing it just not worth the risk in my opionin. my dual cpu p3 runs at 33C and my p4 just a little hotter <--these are both desktops...im getting a amd Xp 3800+ x2 dual core soon ill post the temps of that here too
Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Anything below 60 degC is considered safe. 50 - 60 is acceptable, below 50 is absolutely within the designed performance range.

I run my XP 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ and it runs about 48 - 50 at idle and 55 - 57 full bore and has been for almost 2 years now. Doesn't concern me a bit. It does require monthly (for smokers and/or pet owners) or quarterly (low particulate environment) cleaning to maintain these temps. The longer between cleaning, the more gunk builds up on the HSF and temps increase. A couple cans of air do the trick.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Good info here, I've never really known what "safe" temps are.

As a side note, the damn laptop is still shutting down by itself. I disabled the "auto restart" feature Orca suggested. I have blown out the CPU heatsink. The CPU fans are starting to make noise. I am going to take the laptop fully apart and blow the whole thing out.

I am shopping for a new computer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]