Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Rowand for Thome

From ESPN

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Phillies reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to send Jim Thome and cash to the World Series champion Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand.

The deal, first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, is subject to the players passing physicals, the Phillies said.

Thome, an oft-injured first baseman, is owed $43.5 million in the final three seasons of his contract. He hit .207 with seven homers and 30 RBI in just 193 at-bats last season and became expendable after the emergence of Ryan Howard, who won the NL Rookie of the Year award.

Thome, 35, is due about $12.5 million in 2006 and $14 million in each of the final two seasons of his six-year contract. The Phillies have a club option for 2009, and he has a no-trade clause. Rowand, 28, set career highs in 2004 by hitting .310 with 38 doubles, 24 homers and 69 RBI.

He became eligible for salary arbitration for the first time after making $340,000 in 2004, and signed a new contract with the White Sox in January.

He earned $2 million in 2005 and is expected to receive $3.25 million in 2006. Chicago has a club option for 2007 at $5 million and Rowand holds a player option for 2007 at $3.25 million.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Rowand for Thome

does this NOT make sense to anyone else?!?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Is this a good deal for the Phillies? I don't watch nearly enough baseball to know.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 PM

That is an asinine trade on Chicago's part no matter how much cash they get.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM

I'm confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. I don't like this trade for the Phillies. I think it is really bad for the White Sox. I'm just at a loss for an opinion.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. I don't like this trade for the Phillies. I think it is really bad for the White Sox. I'm just at a loss for an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? They traded their back up first baseman and his albatross of a contract for a CF with and OPS of .800 or so last year. Nice work Phils, we'll be headed to another tough season in the NL East.
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 PM

I assume Thome will be primarily DHing with Frank Thomas not being resigned. So, he should be able to stay healthy on the Sox.

Rowand's future on the Sox was limited with minor league Brian Andreson on the way. If he wasn't traded this off-season, he was definitely gone next off-season. The Sox could get a one-year fill-in if Anderson isn't ready to go in 2006.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? They traded their back up first baseman and his albatross of a contract for a CF with and OPS of .800 or so last year. Nice work Phils, we'll be headed to another tough season in the NL East.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a big difference between .736 and ".800 or so"
Old 11-23-2005, 06:50 PM

Rowand is not much of a player. He was once a great prospect. But, now he's a 28 year old who never reached his potential.

Thome is a far better hitter. If he's healthy, the White Sox will get much more production out of this trade in 2006.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Thome is clearly the better of the two players.

Rowand will save the Phillies $9 million a year yet give them a legitimate starting center fielder.

Once the Phillies go out and spend that $9M on a closer, this deal will make a lot more sense.