Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Attn High-Mid Limit Players: General Approach

My questions are as follows

1)Do you jump from site to site?

2)How many sites do you play

3)When you deposit onto site, do you deposit and start at lower limits and work up, or do you jump into high stakes

4)Is the process different for a new site?

5)What range of limits do you play?

For example I am adequately rolled to play 20/40 +

However when I make a deposit to a new site I usually only put in like $500 and start at 3/6 and progress till I have enough on the site to play higher limits...(Usually 3 buy-ins)

6)Is this a good approach?

)Is progressing thru a range of skill levels (types of play) in a fast amount of time good for your game or would it be better to put enough in to play say 20 40 right away be a better idea?

A large reason I do this is sites restrict the amount of cash I can transfer onto site... For example signed to play at bodog and i depoist using firepay so it limits me to a $500 max transfer

Just curious to others approaches
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Attn High-Mid Limit Players: General Approach

[ QUOTE ]

1) Do you jump from site to site? 2) How many sites do you play

3) When you deposit onto site, do you deposit and start at lower limits and work up, or do you jump into high stakes

4) Is the process different for a new site?

5) What range of limits do you play?

However when I make a deposit to a new site I usually only put in like $500 and start at 3/6 and progress till I have enough on the site to play higher limits...(Usually 3 buy-ins)

6) Is this a good approach?

7) Is progressing thru a range of skill levels (types of play) in a fast amount of time good for your game or would it be better to put enough in to play say 20 40 right away be a better idea?

A large reason I do this is sites restrict the amount of cash I can transfer onto site... For example signed to play at bodog and i depoist using firepay so it limits me to a $500 max transfer

[/ QUOTE ]

To make it easier I numbered your questions.

1 & 2) I typically play at one main site (Stars) but have accounts at other sites as well BoDog, UB, Paradise

3)I'll play 15/30 when I first get to a site (maybe 10/20).

4) N/A

5) 15 / 30 (70%), 30/60 (25%) to 100 / 200 (5%)

6) Your bankroll IMO is your bankroll across at sites (and for that matter what you are willing to add from your personal accounts).
If you are lowering EV by dropping to 3/6 I would not say that's a good approach. Live players tyically do not have every penny they own with them when they sit down.

I'll put $500 into an accouting and play 15/30 if I lose it no biggie, I can always play at my main site and add more some other time and go back.

Treating each site as it's own bankroll is IMO not a good approach.

7) Huh?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM

I only play one site.
My bankroll started with 200 dolars and i worked my up to where i can securely play 5-10 NL. I started with 5 dollar sit and goes. When i got to 400 i got to $10 Sngs. at 800, $20 sngs. and now im just over 1 grand. i made my money playing single table nl hold em tournies and so far its been great.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:04 PM

You need way more than 1 grand to play 5-10NL. But whatever. Do as you please.

Cheers,
Bluffman85
Old 11-17-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1)Do you jump from site to site?

2)How many sites do you play

3)When you deposit onto site, do you deposit and start at lower limits and work up, or do you jump into high stakes

4)Is the process different for a new site?

5)What range of limits do you play?

6)Is this a good approach?

)Is progressing thru a range of skill levels (types of play) in a fast amount of time good for your game or would it be better to put enough in to play say 20 40 right away be a better idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Not really. I play at two sites (Party & Bodog), although I plan to add a third before the end of the year.

2) see above.

3) I deposit enough so I can play 10/20 or higher.

4) No

5) I play 15/30 - 30/60

6) Honestly, I don't see much value in this approach. If the only reason you do this is because of the FirePay limit, I would suggest switching to Neteller. If you have the BR, skill, and desire to play mid limits, play mid limits. It seems silly (to me) to impose an artificial limit and treat each site as a brand new poker experience.

7) I would rather play at the highest limit where I am competitive. If I run bad/play bad and am no longer adequately provisioned for my preferred limit, I'll drop down and regroup, but generally, I will play as high as my skill set and BR will allow.

Just my .02 cents
Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 PM

how the hell do you play 5-10 "securely" with 1 grand?

oh wait, you dont/cant.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how the hell do you play 5-10 "securely" with 1 grand?

oh wait, you dont/cant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you need more than one buyin to play? No wonder the games are so good.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM

at 400 10 sitngos, at 800 20 sitngos at 1000, 5-10 nl.
seemed resonable until...lol must be a mis type. generally when i need 40 buy ins for a lower limit i like to have more than 1 for a much higher one, but thats just my approach.
matty
p.s.
i never knew that i was securely br'ed for the 50-100 at ub until i read this post. im heading over to put my roll on the table.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need way more than 1 grand to play 5-10NL. But whatever. Do as you please.

Cheers,
Bluffman85

[/ QUOTE ]

1000 is barley enough to play .50/1.00, let alone 5/10. You should have atleast 10 max buy ins.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Not sure why this post was moved

Question was geared lowards "Limit play" specifically mid range, hoping for high limit players input also

responses have come from NL and SNG's players