Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Anybody know? What are the chances of Pocket Aces, Kings and Jacks all

Hey guys, new member (but quick to become a regular poster)

I'm trying to learn more about percentages or where to find a good resource for percentages on line. I know the basic stuff already, Aces against Kings for example are about 80/20 favorite. And I can go to Cardplayer.com on their poker calculator look up what Aces versus Kings and Jacks are Aces like 66%, Kings about 18% and Jacks about 16%

But my question is what are the percentages that when you have Pocket Jacks (at a 9 person table) someone else has Pocket Aces and someone else has Pocket Kings. It has to be about 1% or less but where do you find stuff like this out? About the only good percentage that I know is that when you flop a set, it's 1% that someone else has also flopped a set and I know that from reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. I can never find a good resource for these kind of percentages online.

Also, please do not tell me that I should be looking at the betting patterns and the players involved who are raising me before the flop. This hand came from a low stakes tourney on Pstars $5.50 entry fee, I just don't care at that level, you can't pull me off of Pocket Jacks and plus I had both of these guys covered in chips a couple times over. My point in saying that is, I know to fold when someone reraises me like that, but it's fun to call in low stakes with a potentially tilting hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Anybody know? What are the chances of Pocket Aces, Kings and Jacks all

good play isnt as fun as bad play. choose what you want to do. play well or have more fun. dont play a hand if you know you shouldnt if you are trying to win money

the percentages you are looking for are essentially worthless. once you throw in the fact that someone reraised you, it doesnt matter what the odds are that someone at the table has AA. all that matters is the range of hands you put that player on. the only time something like that matters is you are facing a raise in early or middle position. you have to consider the chances that someone wakes up with a big hand behind you. but even then, the actual number does not matter. you should just tighten up slightly to compensate.

aside from pot odds, i think the only numbers that are really useful are hand combinations. know that there are 6 combinations of a pocket pair, 3 if one is on the board or you have one of then, or 1 if both are out. there are 16 combinations of unpaired hands. to get this, you multiply the number of unseen cards of each rank by each other. if the board is AKx, then there are 9 combinations of AK. if the board is AKK there are 6. for suited cards, there are 4 combinations, less one for each suit with one of those that is out (cant think of a good way to word it but this should be self explanatory).
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Anybody know? What are the chances of Pocket Aces, Kings and Jacks

[ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to learn more about percentages or where to find a good resource for percentages on line. I know the basic stuff already, Aces against Kings for example are about 80/20 favorite. And I can go to Cardplayer.com on their poker calculator look up what Aces versus Kings and Jacks are Aces like 66%, Kings about 18% and Jacks about 16%

But my question is what are the percentages that when you have Pocket Jacks (at a 9 person table) someone else has Pocket Aces and someone else has Pocket Kings. It has to be about 1% or less but where do you find stuff like this out? About the only good percentage that I know is that when you flop a set, it's 1% that someone else has also flopped a set and I know that from reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. I can never find a good resource for these kind of percentages online.

Also, please do not tell me that I should be looking at the betting patterns and the players involved who are raising me before the flop. This hand came from a low stakes tourney on Pstars $5.50 entry fee, I just don't care at that level, you can't pull me off of Pocket Jacks and plus I had both of these guys covered in chips a couple times over. My point in saying that is, I know to fold when someone reraises me like that, but it's fun to call in low stakes with a potentially tilting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need any books for this.

The odds are 8/221 * 7/221

A little greater than 0.1%
Old 12-11-2005, 01:11 PM

okay I get the 221, because you are suppose to get Pocket Aces 1 out of every 221 and Kings every 1 out 221 hands. Not sure if the 221 is hand combinations or what not, but I've heard the number 221 before. How is it 8/221 and 7/221 where did the 8 and 7 come from??? I figured it was .5% at best so .1% makes sense. Thanks for taking time to answer my question, I appreciate the help fellows!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okay I get the 221, because you are suppose to get Pocket Aces 1 out of every 221 and Kings every 1 out 221 hands. Not sure if the 221 is hand combinations or what not, but I've heard the number 221 before. How is it 8/221 and 7/221 where did the 8 and 7 come from??? I figured it was .5% at best so .1% makes sense. Thanks for taking time to answer my question, I appreciate the help fellows!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 9-person table so you have 8 opponents. They each have 1/221 to hold AA. The odds of one of them having AA are therefore 8/221. Same goes for KK (7/221)
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 PM

I don't know about you hand - but I once held 66 in a 9 or 10 hand online game where others held AA,KK,QQ & 99!! Now,
what are the odds of THAT!!!??!!! How about the odds of
5 pocket pairs in 10 hands??

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]