Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Rowand for Thome

[ QUOTE ]
Rowand is not much of a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bull. Rowand is a very good CF and a big reason for the overachieving of the CHW pitching staff.

I'll take a league average hitter with great defense in centerfield anyday.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody thinks Thome's power/injuries was steriod induced? Not saying yes or no, just wondering if anyone thinks it might have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if steroids come in steaks. methinks thome is just a big guy, like adam dunn.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume Thome will be primarily DHing with Frank Thomas not being resigned. So, he should be able to stay healthy on the Sox.

Rowand's future on the Sox was limited with minor league Brian Andreson on the way. If he wasn't traded this off-season, he was definitely gone next off-season. The Sox could get a one-year fill-in if Anderson isn't ready to go in 2006.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Sox will be paying about $8 million per year of Thome's contract for the duration. This means that Everett and Thomas will definitely not be re-signed, which will save the Sox about $4 million a year on a payroll that will already be expanding. Look for them to trade for a CF (Juan Pierre?) to add more speed to the lineup, and bring Konerko back for 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll miss rowand, but Kenny Williams continues to impress.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A source told ESPN Insider's Jerry Crasnick that the Phillies will also receive two minor-league left-handed pitchers, Daniel Haigwood and Gio Gonzalez, a supplemental first-round pick (38th overall) for the White Sox in the 2004 draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol kenny williams lmao
Old 11-24-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The simple fact is that the Sox don't draw, and I'm not convinced that winning the World Series is going to change that. Nobody wants to take their family to a night game in the ghetto. Even if you get in and out of the stadium okay, you still have to worry about your kids seeing a fight in the stands, which is far more common at Comiskey than Wrigley.

[/ QUOTE ]
The stupidity never ends...
Old 11-24-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The simple fact is that the Sox don't draw, and I'm not convinced that winning the World Series is going to change that. Nobody wants to take their family to a night game in the ghetto. Even if you get in and out of the stadium okay, you still have to worry about your kids seeing a fight in the stands, which is far more common at Comiskey than Wrigley.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to refute my statement with anything resmbling an argument? The Sox were 17th in attendance last year. When you lead your division the entire season, win the series and still finish in the bottom half of the league in attendance you have a problem. They had some increased attendance down the stretch, and that will probably carry over somewhat this year but unless they are going to win the series again, I wouldn't expect a huge jump in attendance.
If you are disputing that the attendance problems are related to saftey and a family friendly environment, you had better make a good argument. The reality is that you are pretty safe walking from the red line to the park, but most people don't really feel that way about it. Inside the park, you have a pretty good shot at seeing a drunken confrontation, be it a fan attacking an umpire or coach, or an off duty cop and his wife.
I have been to sporting events all over this country, including dozens at Comiskey, and the incidents there are far more common than other places.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For a team that has been as historically cash strapped as the White Sox, getting a player of Thome's caliber while having another team pay a hug chunk of his salary is a major coup.

[/ QUOTE ]

the White Sox increased their average attendance per game by 4,500 this year, going from ~60% capacity in 04, to ~70% capacity in 05. look for this number to jump again this year with all the cubs fans jumping ship.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:52 PM

He never loked like it/ never heard any real allegations in cleveland. He was always a big farm boy coming up. Its possible of course, but it doesn't seem likely (well, i mean he doesn't seem any more likely than any other baseball player).
Old 11-24-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a team that has been as historically cash strapped as the White Sox, getting a player of Thome's caliber while having another team pay a hug chunk of his salary is a major coup.

[/ QUOTE ]

the White Sox increased their average attendance per game by 4,500 this year, going from ~60% capacity in 04, to ~70% capacity in 05. look for this number to jump again this year with all the cubs fans jumping ship.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cubs fans aren't jumping ship. Have you ever been to a game at Wrigley? Half the people at a Cubs game have no idea what is going on in the game. You'd be hard pressed to find another pro venue filled with as many people who have no clue what they are watching. I can't begin to estimate the number of times I have heard the fans errupt when Sosa made contact, only to turn in to "awww" a split second later when they realize its an infield fly and not a homer.
The reason that Wrigley is packed is that its an event. People go there to drink beer and call their friends on their cell phones. They don't care if the Cubs win. These kinds of people aren't going to take the red line to 35th because there is nowhere they can hang out and drink before and after the game. Unless there is some major changes in the neighborhood around comiskey, things aren't going to change. Winning will bring in some fans down the stretch, but they aren't going to come anywhere close to filling the stadium on a consistant basis.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Care to refute my statement with anything resmbling an argument? The Sox were 17th in attendance last year. When you lead your division the entire season, win the series and still finish in the bottom half of the league in attendance you have a problem. They had some increased attendance down the stretch, and that will probably carry over somewhat this year but unless they are going to win the series again, I wouldn't expect a huge jump in attendance.
If you are disputing that the attendance problems are related to saftey and a family friendly environment, you had better make a good argument. The reality is that you are pretty safe walking from the red line to the park, but most people don't really feel that way about it. Inside the park, you have a pretty good shot at seeing a drunken confrontation, be it a fan attacking an umpire or coach, or an off duty cop and his wife.
I have been to sporting events all over this country, including dozens at Comiskey, and the incidents there are far more common than other places.

[/ QUOTE ]
The attendance argument is old and played out. Season tickets are up for next year and the White Sox attendance was up big over the previous season. Attendance will increase again in '06.

As far as your "Nobody wants to take their family to a night game in the ghetto" statement, it just doesn't get any more stupid than that. Nobody seemed to have a problem with watching games in the ghetto during the playoffs and world series last year. Or did they bus out all the "undesirables" during October?

I'm a lifelong White Sox fan, and I've been going to games on the South Side for as long as I can remember. I'm still wating to witness one of the "incidents" that seem to happen on a supposed regular basis. Do things happen? Yeah. The story you linked to your post happened two season ago, and the "umpire attacks" happened even longer ago. Things happen everywhere. I've been to fewer games in Wrigleyville than I have on the southside, and seen way more incidents. In fact, I can post links too. I have no problem taking my wife and two kids to games at US Cellular several times a year. But you can go on posting urban legend all you want. Doesn't make it any less dumb.