Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" ESPN Coverage of WSOP Main Event: Final Table

Barch had about $5.6 million.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: anybody else feel cheated...

Like I said elsewhere, ESPN did a terrible job of showing how long they played. That said, it would probably end up being either really boring, or way over dramatised.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On Cardplayer Audio, Hellmuth assaulted Dannenmann for the all in with A6 against Black, but I think it was entirely reasonable to assume that the 6 was good in that hand. An aggressive player led out with two of a suit on the board - the natural instinct is to read "flush draw". If Black folded his marginal hand, it would have been a great play.

I thought the all in with A6 was perfectly reasonable, considering all of this information.

[/ QUOTE ]

My memory of this was more that Hellmuth's sense of justice was hurt because Black made a great call and got rivered by a worse player. I remember his reaction, and thought that Dannenman played the hand fine (although based on what I saw, in general he seemed a little quick to get all his chips in the middle).

It's just a classic case of Hellmuth's attitude towards luck vs. skill.

I'll admit at the time it was sad to see Black go, because he was pretty clearly the best player at the table, and he'd already won me over when he wanted to stall for the guy who mixed up the dinner break thing.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

No, it wasn't]

Yes, it was. Stop pretending folding the 4th best possible hand is a matter of routine. It's the type of play which gets a player out of bad situations and possibly to the WSOP Main Event final table.

It's not a matter of routine, but in that situation I think most would agree it's a pretty easy laydown.

Then most are fooling themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make this fold in a $33 on Stars, and it's not even close.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barch had about $5.6 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, then this is a MUST-BET for Hachem... seriously.

That means the pot was at least $16 Million!? And Hachem flops an overpair???

Must-bet situation. Forget about the virtual 2 million dollars he gains by knocking out Barch. Take this pot down and forget about Barch.

Play for first or third.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:33 PM

...........and he'd already won me over when he wanted to stall for the guy who mixed up the dinner break thing.

i think that was really stupid. there is no way one single table should come to a halt just because one guy couldn't make it back in time. it would be a disadvantage to the players at that table.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 PM

A few thoughts-

Hachem seemed pretty willing to check this down, I think he may have been showing some respect to Dannenman's call.

I think Hachem COULD have made a lot of money betting at Dannenman but I understand his decision not to.

I would wager he knew he was a better player than Dannenman, and that not spraying chips there and waiting till they were (likely) HU might leave him in a better spot.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OMG, then this is a MUST-BET for Hachem... seriously.

That means the pot was at least $16 Million!? And Hachem flops an overpair???

Must-bet situation. Forget about the virtual 2 million dollars he gains by knocking out Barch. Take this pot down and forget about Barch.

Play for first or third.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't forget about Barch. He's all-in. Better to let Dannenman stay in to give you a greater chance of knocking him out. Like a previous poster said, if an A comes off, you've lost the pot anyway. If Dannenman has an A with a better kicker than Barch, he knocks him out. Either way, you don't win the pot, but now you're heads up.

I could see doing this early in a tournament when you are trying to build a stack, but late in a tourney the important thing is to knock people out.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 PM

Forgetting about a guy who has shoved after a raise and a call is probably a bad idea. I know Barch was short, but he still had a decent stack relative to the blinds, correct?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgetting about a guy who has shoved after a raise and a call is probably a bad idea. I know Barch was short, but he still had a decent stack relative to the blinds, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barch had about $5.65 million. Dannenman had about $22 million. Hachem had around $28.7 million. The pot was right under $17 million.