Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 PM

Default QJo

First hand at the table, so no reads. This is Empire though, so I would guess the average opponent is TAG/LAG.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Any other way to play this? Just checking...
Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: QJo

checkrais flop and fold to the turn rais
Old 10-11-2005, 03:50 PM

Eureka! Now to get myself to actually do this....! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checkrais flop and fold to the turn rais

[/ QUOTE ]

I can definetly see that I probably should fold to the turn raise. I am curious as to the flop check raise though. It seems with my relative position, I would rather try to drive out the button by having UTG raise me (most of the time he will). A check raise may get more value into the pot, but it seems my hand is a bit vulnerable at the moment.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM

I like the flop bet. I think the turn is a safe fold to an unknown, especially given the action, the pot's not all that big and you probably have the worst hand with bad odds to improve.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:25 PM

youp i missread, betting flop seams optimal
or hmm i don't know wich is the best but they seam quite equally
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is Empire though, so I would guess the average opponent is TAG/LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be wrong. Just watch 'em. I really think people are over-reacting to the changes this week, at least at the low limits.

On to the hand:

I like the turn bet. It's reasonably likely there's an ace out there, of course, but if not you can take the pot with a bet quite often. You also want to protect your hand vs overcards, straight draws and the backdoor flush.

When you get raised on the turn in the $5/10 you're almost surely in trouble with anything less than top pair good kicker, and even then you're usually losing. There are exceptions of course: some players like to raise the turn for fun, or when they've picked up a draw, or when a scare card hits. Until you know otherwise, though, assume a turn raise means what it is supposed to mean.

This one is fairly close because of your gutshot draw. A ten is almost surely good for you and jacks and queens could be too. On balance I think you need to call getting 7.7-1 with something like 6 or 7 outs on average.

Back to the flop. I think I prefer your line to the check-raise because of your relative position, as you said.

We called the turn looking to improve and didn't, so check-fold the river.

Guy.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can definetly see that I probably should fold to the turn raise. I am curious as to the flop check raise though. It seems with my relative position, I would rather try to drive out the button by having UTG raise me (most of the time he will). A check raise may get more value into the pot, but it seems my hand is a bit vulnerable at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with the idea that if you cannot protect your hand you should not CR in this situation. You CR for value here even though your hand is vulnerable.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This one is fairly close because of your gutshot draw. A ten is almost surely good for you and jacks and queens could be too. On balance I think you need to call getting 7.7-1 with something like 6 or 7 outs on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm I don't see a gutshot here..
FWIW I would c/r flop, call turn and fold river UI.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This one is fairly close because of your gutshot draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm I don't see a gutshot here..

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 9 T J Q A is not a straight?

Silly me. Thanks for catching it.

I go with folding the turn.

Guy.