Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

OP,

You are a spoiled [censored]. Your parents are paying for you to attend an overpriced college, you have no job, and you want to drop out with one year left?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:41 AM

Suck it up and finish. You've gone this far, you may as well finish or you will regret it at some point... even if it's not until you're 30 or 40. I took a break after high school and it was very difficult to return later. I regret not continuing right away and getting it over with. I'm in my mid-thirties and I can tell you my perspective is not the same as I had when I was twenty.

The degree will help you in many ways. Even as an entrepreneur you will gain respect and status when dealing with banks and investors as they are more likely to think you know what you're talking about.

You may decide to go in a different direction in five or ten years, but not finishing might hinder or limit the options. Also, the lifetime earnings of a graduate versus a dropout are greater, should you decide to work for the man at a later date.

Drop the second major and finish... allowing you to keep playing quite a few hours per week.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My apartment in NYC is about a 15 minute subway ride or 20-30 min bus ride (NYU provides free bus transportation) to campus. The ability to schedule classes consecutively isn't guaranteed. This means I could have a class at 9 AM and then one at 5 PM. I would then either have to stay on campus or take the bus/subway back/forth and waste a lot of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that nobody has responded to this portion of your post. It is baffling that you live in NYC and somehow think this is a big negative.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Why is it baffling? Most people live close to campus where they can roll out of bed 15 minutes before class and make it there on time.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 AM

dude, you're making 600k a year, get an apartment right next to campus.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it baffling? Most people live close to campus where they can roll out of bed 15 minutes before class and make it there on time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So move closer. If you make so much bank you can afford a Village apartment.

Most people in NYC have a commute much worse than you. A 15 minute trip to class is not a good reason to drop out.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me more than 15 minutes to walk to many of my classes when I lived on campus in college.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So move closer. If you make so much bank you can afford a Village apartment.

Most people in NYC have a commute much worse than you. A 15 minute trip to class is not a good reason to drop out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that in conjunction with the whole immaturity thing...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My apartment in NYC is about a 15 minute subway ride or 20-30 min bus ride (NYU provides free bus transportation) to campus. The ability to schedule classes consecutively isn't guaranteed. This means I could have a class at 9 AM and then one at 5 PM. I would then either have to stay on campus or take the bus/subway back/forth and waste a lot of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe that nobody has responded to this portion of your post. It is baffling that you live in NYC and somehow think this is a big negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also - Bobst (the library) has wireless internet. Go downstairs and play if you don't want to do work in between classes - i did it for a while.

But you're a senior - you can get whatever classes you want.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the basic speech everyone has given me but it doesn't really help me. Regardless of how "pot committed" I am, or the fact that it's a great school, there would have to be some sort of tangible benefit that is GREATER than the additional income/freedom/ability to travel to tournies/etc. that I would gain from not having class.

[/ QUOTE ]

You skip class anyways, just get your degree lazy bones, if you have come this far why not? Do it for your mothers sake at least.