Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

Dude, quit [censored] around and go back. Who cares if you go to classes or not. Just get the piece of [censored] paper with your name on it.

I know you are a very gifted player. I know you make a lot of money doing the poker thing. You may be able to play this game for the rest of your life, and $600k might be the LEAST you ever make in a year. But wouldn't you feel better about it all, even if it is only subconsciously, with the insurance that is that piece of paper?

I think you knew what the response was going to be when you made this post. I'm sure you have thought about this a ton, and I'm also pretty sure you have your mind made up. I hope what ever choice you make will make you happy, and that your decision one way or the other was the best choice for you.

Your weak-tight friend,

Shaf
Old 12-08-2005, 12:12 PM

I know many people that have serious self image issues because of this. They could finish a university degree, but they're not really committed to it, and have found a way to make money (not necessarily poker) elsewhere in place of studies. Many of these people, NO MATTER HOW SUCCESSFUL IN EVERY OTHER WAY, are haunted by leaving school.

The choice not to follow through and finish something that you were so close to, mainly because of your own laziness, can have a posionous effect. Accomplishing something that is difficult (either because of the innate difficulty, or overcoming your own motivational shortcomings) has a way of bolstering your self image. This is true even if you have some questions about the overall value of the accomplishment.

By the way, procrastination has a way of eventually causing you to hit a ceiling in life. That may be the big issue here.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of how "pot committed" I am, or the fact that it's a great school, there would have to be some sort of tangible benefit that is GREATER than the additional income/freedom/ability to travel to tournies/etc. that I would gain from not having class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your degree is definitely worth the opportunity cost of lost poker hours. The rest of your life will (hopefully) be a very long time. Playing an extra 10 hours of poker per week in 2006 will not have much of a positive impact on your life in 2026. Getting your degree will.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM

i read your whole post. stay in school. it's one more year.

if in 6 months congress declares internet gambling illegal, you'll be glad you are still in school.

also, your parents did pay $120,000 for this, don't throw that away.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Dude, don't listen to the haters. Follow your dream, and make the mad bank!! These guys are just hoping that one more year of school will get you back off their tables.

Also, GoT's goal was only 400k because he's really lazy, a problem you obviously don't have because you play 35+ hours a week already!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 PM

You picked the wrong forum to try and get back-up from. Finihs college for f-cks sake.Expected value is higher.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Having watched a number of friends and clients drop out of
school because they were making freak money during
the tech boom of the late 1990's, my advice is stay the
f in school.

You'll never regret having a degree; odds favor regret
over the lack thereof.

Pick up a copy of Mackay's "Extraordinary Popular Delusions
and the Madness of Crowds."
Old 12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but I can guess what most of them will say. It sounds like you are really tempted and are looking for someone to confirm your tendency to wanting to drop out. I think you are going to find (as you have already discovered) that people will site more reasons for you to finish rather than qutting with 1 more year to go.

Poker is not going anywhere, and you only have one year to go. Even if you think you can be successful without a degree and can't really see a reason at this moment to finish, you never know what future situation will cause you to regret not getting the degree if you do drop out. It's only a year out of your life. I would just suck it up and finish.

But you know yourself the best.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:40 PM

You are a good friend, and I admire your skills as a poker player greatly. We have had some good times together and it's been a pleasure getting to know you.

Rather than follow what everyone else on this site has said, I'm going to switch it up a bit. You need to follow your heart. If being in school makes you miserable, then you just cannot do it.

That said, you also need to consider everything that constitutes happiness. What importance does finishing school have on your parents? Will you forever be a dissapointment in their eyes if you don't? What about extended family? Friends? What happens if in three years, after 1.2million or so in profit, you decide that you're ready to take a break and try something new. The money's great, but what are your options?

You (as well as me and many others) are super blessed to come from upper middle class families where our parents support our living situation and to some extent our schooling. This puts you in a really unique opportunity to explore your life to the fullest.

If you will only be happy at the table, then the answer is clear in my mind. If happiness combines other elements of life, then I think you need to take a step back and consider a more practical approach.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:56 PM

So you "think" you can make 600k/year. How much did you make the last few years? Unless you have put up numbers of over $450k, I doubt you know you can make 600k. If your argument is I took one semester off and look how much I made, good luck.

Am I the only person who realized this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I decide to finish, my parents will pay the tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I expect to make over $600k.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a total dick for not paying muchless giving your parents nice stuff.