Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Which streets are atrocious and which are just bad/so-so?

It's pretty clear that your opponent has an overpair. What are you trying to represent? A4? 55? He'd pretty easily rule out 55 as he'd expect you to slow play the flop. So that leaves A4. Would you really call a raise preflop with A4 out of position (or at all)? You might, but he's probably only a slightly concerned about it. Furthermore, if you're going to c/r the flop, why do it so small? If you flop a big hand, would you really raise someone this little? As seen, you're not really representhing anything; these are easy calls for him.

Once he calls the turn, pushing the river is ridiculous.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do u want worse hands to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I supposed to be trying to get value with AK high?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM

this hand starts off bad and gets progressively worse on all streets.

if he calls your turn bet u can be pretty sure he will call river bet considerably more often than is +EV.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do u want worse hands to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I supposed to be trying to get value with AK high?

[/ QUOTE ]

im not trying to get value out of AK high. i am saying that he idea or making worse hands fold is silly. if u c/r the flop and he calls he has u beat. i see the one benefit of the c/r getting called is u may get a free card out of the deal which u opted not to take...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 PM

i dont see the point in checkraising an unknown with AK on an undercard flop. as a matter of fact i dont see much merit in havin a default play for AK oop that includes chk raising based solely on the texture of the board.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Overplayed AKs. More so than I have ever seen, IMHO. You just sat down and have no reads on him and he has none on you. What makes you think he will fold here? What makes you think he even knows what a continuation bet is? He may be a calling station which would make this even worse.

What stakes did you start out at? Did you build your roll or start out at these stakes? I don't mean to insult you, just asking.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont see the point in checkraising an unknown with AK on an undercard flop. as a matter of fact i dont see much merit in havin a default play for AK oop that includes chk raising based solely on the texture of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

word!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty clear that your opponent has an overpair. What are you trying to represent? A4? 55? He'd pretty easily rule out 55 as he'd expect you to slow play the flop. So that leaves A4. Would you really call a raise preflop with A4 out of position (or at all)? You might, but he's probably only a slightly concerned about it. Furthermore, if you're going to c/r the flop, why do it so small? If you flop a big hand, would you really raise someone this little? As seen, you're not really representhing anything; these are easy calls for him.

Once he calls the turn, pushing the river is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this post a lot. If I thought that clearly every hand, I'd move up from the $25 tables. Speaking of the $25 tables, I've seen people take hero's line with AA. Do you see that often?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Ummmm, where to begin? MP raiser, no draws, two over cards, I thought I was aggresive, but I check/fold the flop. If you must take a stab, just bet into the PF raiser on the flop and fold. Turn and river are chip spewing. River could easily be busted flush draw and villian has stated quite loudly he has an overpair and doesn't believe you. Villian flips over his QQ and takes down the pot.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check calling this flop is certainly worse than check raising.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. They will never fold a better hand here. And you often have 6 outs here if you're not already ahead. They very rarely fire a second barrel on the turn with a worse hand. By check/raising the flop you just give them a chance to blow you off your 6 out draw and lose more when you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]