Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: not the same Tongni

[ QUOTE ]
Well, they were both pretty good players. In hand one, I felt that he is capable of bluff raising the river here, and KQ is a real possibility. Hand two, he's not paying off with much here, so I want to at least induce a bluff or save a bet from a hand I'm slightly behind. I have a lot of hands played very similarly, but these are the first two that came to mind, because I got berated extra hard after these I think.

Also, I'm not trying to show off, but just show how a hand looks good when your read is spot on, but looks awful when it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tongni,

Thanks for the reply, you can see above I edited because I messed up the action in my reading of the hand. Sorry about that.

Anyway, you take this approach often? More than just slowing down on turn and then donking out on river, encouraging perhaps a bluff raise gaining you an extra bet (unless they bluff the river on your river check with your line) or costing less or the same if river raised when you are behind. You find this line works better with the OOP check?

Nigel
Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 PM

Default The utility of posting this hand

I have a lot of respect for Tongni. In fact, when he's at a table I take a close look at it. I figure there're reasons he's there.

However, the utility of posting this hand was pretty limited. On the surface, he played his hand awful. However, according to him, it's player specific and read-based. The question that arises, then, is why post the hand at all? It doesn't raise any interesting questions or illustrate any important concepts. There's little to be learned except, perhaps, that Tongni is more imaginative than many of us might have assumed. Maybe the only general lesson is at a meta-level - what should not be posted.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Basically when I think I'm ahead I'm ready to jam. If I feel I'm ahead and he is someone to maybe 3bet for a free showdown, I'll 4bet OOP for a free showdown and a bet if I improve. Sometimes I'll check with the intention of calling, and other times check with the intention of folding. It's all about your control of your opponent. It's cool to win another bet, but if you risk the entire pot to do it, it's just not worth it. I think the most important thing is to figure out your opponent and then exploit.

If your opponent's weakness is that he never bluffs on the river, then this option looks alot more appealing, or if he really sucks at value betting. After this play, you don't find that people are raising you for a free showdown as much anymore.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: The utility of posting this hand

[ QUOTE ]
why post the hand at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
First trifecta in a while (LC)

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the post is not titled "The definitive way to play A5o OOP" against a button openraise". I just thought it was funny.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After this play, you don't find that people are raising you for a free showdown as much anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine. Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel