Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Tough river 20/40

20/40, 10 handed. I have KJ in the hijack and open. Cutoff calls, he only kind of sucks. Button 3bets. He's pretty good. 18/15? We haven't played too many hands together, but I think he respects my play. 3 to the flop.

KQT, rainbow. I lead, cutoff calls, button raises. We both call. Turn is A, putting 2 spades on the board. I have no spade. I lead, cutoff folds, button calls. River is the King of spades.

The final board is AKKQT. I bet and fold. Decent?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Tough river 20/40

Ahhh, I can see how this thread will go:

First Reply: "You probably have to call here, the pot is so big. The only way you can fold is if you are absolutely positive that you are beat. I don't like it."

OP Responds: "I know that this guy has to have me beat, he couldn't have anything other than a full house."

Next Reply: "Man, you really really have to be sure. If you make a mistake by calling you cost yourself one bet, but if you make a mistake by folding the best hand you cost yourself the whole pot."

OP: "Well, I'm positive I was beat, so I folded."

And on and on....

I don't mean any offense by this post, I'm just stating my opinion that these types of hands only you will relaly be able to know if you made the right move, since only you know how your opponent in the hand was playing and what his tendencies are. Deep down you probably know that the fold was correct, so nh.

- Jags
Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 AM

well we know the spades are not significant, and if he pops the river I think you have to call getting ~12.5-1.

The main problem is that when you dont lose you are almost always chopping, but you will chop this the 1/6 of the time that he raises IMO. It is close though.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:09 AM

Actually, I think this is one of those times when c/c the river is probably be correct. Presumably button will raise with all full houses, (unlikely) flushes, and (some % of the time) str8s but can you really see him calling with counterfeited 2pair? I don't since all of the draws got there. If he would raise a lot of the times he just has Bway, I think you need to show this hand down and bet/fold doesnt get the job done. In fact, betting this river at all must be a mistake since he will never call with a worse hand.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 AM

If you're going to fold to a raise, you're better off check calling.