Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Check-fold top set on the turn

I'm interested. Let's say you check-call a smaller bet from villain like $100 and you miss on river. Do you plan on check-folding there to another bet? Why are you so quick to put villain on a ten here? In a big pot, if I see 6789 out on the board and a pre-flop raiser checks to me, I'm going to bet it every time reguardless of what I have.... because a preflop raiser is unlikely to have a ten or five.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 AM

Seems like an awful big bet if he has a str8. He doesnt know you have top set, and thus, one of the only hands that might call/push Vs this bet, so why does he bet so much?

Some explanations come to mind.
1. He has a T, but he also has a flush draw
2. He has 88 and thinks that he's ahead, but doesnt like all the draws
3. He finds that this is a wonderful place to semi-bluff a guy who checked a 4-str8 board with a flush draw on it (say with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]).

I probably push here, suspecting that his bet is just too suspicious, and having outs if Im wrong.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested. Let's say you check-call a smaller bet from villain like $100 and you miss on river. Do you plan on check-folding there to another bet? Why are you so quick to put villain on a ten here? In a big pot, if I see 6789 out on the board and a pre-flop raiser checks to me, I'm going to bet it every time reguardless of what I have.... because a preflop raiser is unlikely to have a ten or five.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't the preflop raiser
Old 11-08-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. He has 88 and thinks that he's ahead, but doesnt like all the draws

[/ QUOTE ]

What draws could you possibly be talking about? I see a heart draw and a four card straight on the board.