Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Thanks and final thoughts

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Learning how to play the one and two pair hands is, I believe, a key to this game. This situation and others like it are where I am sure I am leaking bets, even when I don't butcher the hand quite as badly as I did here.

In looking at the sequence of the hand again I recall thinking that on the turn the 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] put a straight on board. Then when it was checked through I figured the straight was not there.

The more I think about the river, the more I see what an absolutely awful raise that was. Here's why as I see it. I can beat any two pair. The two hands I can't beat are a straight and someone holding an odd 9. It's obvious I can't beat a full house, and I'm pretty sure we would have heard from a set on the flop or the turn. Raising will only get hands I can beat to fold (7x, 8x, 78), and will only get called by hands that split (exactly AK) or raised by hands that beat me (9x, 88, 77, K9). The more I think about it the more I think the BB had K9. Anybody agree? Given that I raised pre-flop and bet the flop, I think the BB might have been going for the check-raise on the turn, putting me on AK or AA after the flop bet (Would a reasonable player expect a set of Kings to check the flop? Would a reasonable player check a King-high flop with pocket kings hoping for a check raise and then lead on the turn?). Of course it could have been something like 89s but I suspect he might have bet out on the flop. If I bet on the turn then and get check-raised hmmm.... Then I have something else to think about.

Comments? Or am I just beating a dead horse?

Rockfish