Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Default QQ in the MP1

party 2/4 NL, i have 425 behind

utg limps, i raise to 15 in the MP1, MP2 calls, folds to the UTG who raises to 40, i call, MP2 folds.

flop is Ah 2s 6h

UTG checks. i make it 80.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: QQ in the MP1

I like this line because its a probe bet, and you can find out real quick if he is calling with AK or a smaller pair. If I was in your shoes, and he re-raised I'd be out though, becuase UTG's range of hands to limp-raise is probably 88-KK, AQs-AKs. He would check top trips on this drawless board though... so be careful
Old 04-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Completely standard.

Don't be surprised if he calls the flop bet though, either with AAA or a stubborn KK.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:28 PM

Limp-reraise with 88? Is this a common play at higher levels? Obviously not for value, right? Deception? Hmf.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:28 PM

Assuming the villian is average, I'd say you're most likely up against (1) KK, (2) AA, (3) AKs, maybe AQs. The other QQ or JJ is possible, but looking at how he limp-raised from UTG, it doesn't look like the odds are in your favor.

For that reason, I'd actually prefer to check behind on the flop unless you know you can push villian off a theoretical KK with another (strong enough) bet on the turn.

Over the long run, when you add up the total amount you've put into the pot, and multiply it to the # of times villian has AA/AK/AQ vs. the # of times he can be pushed off of KK (if at all), I'd say betting this flop is a -EV move.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He would check top trips on this drawless board though... so be careful

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to sound too technical, but hitting trips and spiking a set are two different hands. (AK on a K-K-8 flop is trips; 88 on that flop is a spiked set, which turns out to be a full house and a better hand.) And there are two hearts on the flop...

Nevertheless, I agree that hero would be happy to check his top set in hopes that hero would take a stab at the pot.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I also dislike betting the flop. In order for me to bet this flop I'd need to know a few things:

-Villain is capable of limp-reraising UTG with less than Aces and Kings.
-Villain is capable of folding Kings when the Ace flops.

That's the gist of it.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:59 AM

i didn't think a set of aces would check this flop and risk giving me a free card that would break him...so i took a shot at it.

he ended up folding, muttered something about ace magnets and folding KK into the chat box...hm
Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 AM

With AA, what free card would he really be afraid of there?? He'd have to put at a set with catching quads on the turn? Or maybe a call with KQ-98 suited hearts? I think most players would check AA here and be wary of hearts, but with set of Aces on a spread board, I'd have a really hard time not check/calling the flop looking to make a play on the turn and depnding on the turn card, even playing dead till the riv. I wouldn't want you folding your QQ because you thought I flopped an A with AK or AQ now would I?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:12 AM

i like your line, the obvious question is what do u do if a. he flat calls, b. he raises..................