Default Re: Did I drop the ball here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really small baby pot. Why mess around?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the wrong attitude. It's not just the big pots that we're striving for. All the little pots that you pick up let you free-roll on the big pots. I know that we're playing to win money not pots, but passing this up is just criminal. Would you pass up TT in the same situation? Or 99? If he's got overcards that miss the flop then these hands are all just about one and the same. And yes, the pot is small. Now. But later? If he's the type of player who never slows down until the river? Not to mention the fact that developing your heads up game is really important in the long term. Are you playing poker or are you just sitting there waiting for the nuts? Situations like these are what make poker fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We steal blinds dont we? I'd call that a baby pot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different situation. This is a tight (squeaky tight) UTG raiser. He's also aggressive and is going to play back at you. There is zero chance that he will fold to a re-raise so this is not analogous to a blind steal attempt. Furthermore Hero (yours truly) will be out of position.

Do I know you by another name? Are you the frogman?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 PM

10% VP$IP raises from UTG, all fold and you recommend playing this hand?

Medium pairs have value against 2-3 opponnents who likely have weak hands or against 4-5+ when you hit your set. Fold. No question in this sepcific scenario.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the wrong attitude. It's not just the big pots that we're striving for. All the little pots that you pick up let you free-roll on the big pots. I know that we're playing to win money not pots, but passing this up is just criminal. Would you pass up TT in the same situation? Or 99? If he's got overcards that miss the flop then these hands are all just about one and the same. And yes, the pot is small. Now. But later? If he's the type of player who never slows down until the river? Not to mention the fact that developing your heads up game is really important in the long term. Are you playing poker or are you just sitting there waiting for the nuts? Situations like these are what make poker fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pocket pairs 88, and under need a multiway pot to be profitable. Most people raising UTG will have your pocket 88's dominated preflop. Your really playing to hit the set. I only fold this because the raise was from a tight player UTG. If it was MP or LP (depending on read) I might call looking to hit my set. But it's still a really small pot, which makes me fold it even faster. If it's TT I call or reraise depending on read. Might not be the best way to play it, but that's what I would do. Every situation is different and you need to constanly adjust. Feel free to disagree I'm here to learn.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We steal blinds dont we? I'd call that a baby pot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Different situation. This is a tight (squeaky tight) UTG raiser. He's also aggressive and is going to play back at you. There is zero chance that he will fold to a re-raise so this is not analogous to a blind steal attempt. Furthermore Hero (yours truly) will be out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I get it now. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Do I know you by another name? Are you the frogman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I'm the Wetdog. Why? Is he as dense as I am?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Actually, he rocks and you probably do too. You're not ElSapo incognito?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:28 PM

My view of this situation is that a call is the worst of the three possible options. If you fold it's obviously over. If you raise and he doesn't play back at you, one of two things could happen. First you could take control of the hand, and if he's playing overcards and misses the flop (bit of a parlay don't you think?) you can win. How will you know, if he's a 3.5 agg and plays back at you? However, since he raised UTG, I suspect he has a hand that's worth capping if he's 10% VP$IP and as aggressive as his numbers show. As another poster said, that means you are at least dominated and at worst way behind with two outs. If you just call (as you suggest with TT) how do you play after the flop?

I'm stuck here now. I think if you can re-raise with TT (and you should) shouldn't you also re-raise with 99 and 88? Am I not thinking right? Anybody fold TT here? I don't. Where's the cutoff of folding versus re-raising. As stated previously, I don't think calling is really an option.

As I said before, if this even remotely smacks of a steal or a loose raise I'll pop him back in a New York second. This was neither.