Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 10:17 PM

Default 30-60 flopped a set best line?

Typical crew at canterbury, great game been runnin kinda cold not many cards been seated about 2 hours. I am dealt 55 in my bb. 3 limpers a raise from a VERY weak tight player prolly meaning aa or kk. 1 cold caller sb calls I call. 7 to the flop. Flop comes 5-8-9 with a flush draw. Honestly I dont know if the Pre-flop raiser will bet here since he likes to slowplay big hands, or what he thinks are big hands. Whats my best line after the sb checks? I think I played it very interestingly, i'd like to see what u guys think.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: 30-60 flopped a set best line?

I think you have to bet with all the players to act between you and the PFR. Given this read: I dont know if the Pre-flop raiser will bet here since he likes to slowplay big hands You'll get a chance to 3-bet the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 04-14-2004, 10:34 PM

7 way, raised pot, up front, I dont miss a bet or raise. 2 reasons why:

1. Doing what it takes to win big pots means giving others a chance to fold by betting and raising.

2. 7-way on a draw rich board it can be very hard to read things and guess the action from up front, there can be very heavy posturing on the flop during the small bet round and nothing on the turn or nothing on the flop; I don't want something insane to happen like a free card.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 PM

You bet of course. With a little luck this board means a capped flop!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:04 AM

I'm going to disagree with the other posters. Obviously the pot is big enough to win it right then, but you might not get many to fold for a single bet. With 7 players in, chances would seem better than average that you could get a check-raise in, and force people to fold rather than call 2 bets. If your read on the players makes you think that it might get checked around though, come out betting.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 AM

Does it really matter? You make more ego-centric posts than me. It must be something in the water.

I would usually bet, and raise a lot on the flop. The upside to this is that you can easily play the later streets i.e. if a straight card comes you can slow down if popped. If you checkraise the flop you will have a much harder time slowing down on the turn. If you know what I mean.

The only person who I think would fit your description of the preflop raiser (M.W. who I haven't seen a long time), I would checkraise. Who else does? I dunno tell me tomorrow I'm going to the track as my mouse hand hurts and I need to give the guys on party a couple nights to reload.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With 7 players in, chances would seem better than average that you could get a check-raise in, and force people to fold rather than call 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a choice between six opponents calling one bet each and six opponents folding, I think I'll have them call one bet each when I have a set.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 AM

Given what you said about the preflop raiser, this one's easy. A free card isn't disastrous, but is there any reason to risk one? If you check, and the PFR bets, a check raise is probably going to get rid of a lot of customers who are drawing dead, leaving JT and flush draws, and it might get checked across anyway. By betting you keep your dead-drawing customers and get a chance to 3 bet somewhere later instead of just check-raising and maybe getting passively called down afterwards.

I'd bet out 100% of the time given the situation. And if you think the PFR is waiting for the turn to raise, I'd bet out again on the next street.

I can't imagine how getting fancy in this hand would benefit you.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking this is a pretty good question. I mean, if you can figure out how to get multiple turn bets from multiple players based on reads and whatnot, more power to you -- my default is just to jam big hands 7-way start to finish, not that I can remember the last time it happened, I'm usually the Putz living a lie with an overpair.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a choice between six opponents calling one bet each and six opponents folding, I think I'll have them call one bet each when I have a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a flush draw possible, a hand like JT possibly sitting on an open-end straight draw, and the already large pot, wouldn't you rather win it immediately. You might get several callers for one bet, and they would be correct to call with their draws. That's why I would go for the check-raise. I don't think this is a hand where you want lots of callers.