Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Balls of Steel?

So I'm playing some 6max to work on my marginal situation skills. Making sure to pay close attention to what everyone is doing. I saw the villain go all-in with an ace-high flush draw on the turn a few hands before, and lose.

Whaddya think?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) converter

BB ($9.90)
Hero ($8.55)
Button ($10.95)
SB ($6.95)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1.3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.6</font>, BB calls $1.30.

Turn: ($6.45) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $6.7 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $5.35 (All-In).

River: ($18.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $18.50
Old 08-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Balls of Steel?

I think I want to just call the flop.

What's your goal here? Are you trying to get the guy to fold? If so, you need to push the flop. Are you trying to extract? If so, I think that's pretty risky considering the action so far. Are you trying to showdown cheaply? If so, I doubt you can get a free card from this guy considering the big PFR he called and the PSB he made on the flop. He doesn't seem to be on a draw, and it looks like he thinks you are on a draw.

Given all this, I think I'd want to show down cheaply, and the best way to do this is to just call down.

I could be wrong
Old 08-20-2005, 01:31 PM

Actually this post is useless now that I think about it. I shouldn't have posted it, there is no value in it whatsoever.

It was just a freak occurrence of inspiration and luck. I felt in my gut that the guy was chasing another flush, since I had been watching his play. I turned out to be right, and he missed his flush again and I won.

What did it for me was his call after my min-reraise on the flop. Probably way too risky.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:31 PM

the fact that he is in the BB makes it harder as we can't rule out overpairs.

his flop bet can be contrued as "I have a flush draw but you might have missed overcards so I'm going to bet and hopefully you fold and if you call, I still have outs".

or it could be " I have a big over pair and I think its bigger than your hand but I don't want you to hit your 6 outer with AK".

unfortunately with both of these cases combined with your previous read of his aggression with draws, the turn push can be possible with both hands.

against a player that is this aggressive with draws, I would advise to not raise preflop with hands like A7.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 PM

I don't like the line - why raise 6xBB with A7s without position? What was you plan preflop?
Why min-raise on the flop? This is one the flops you like, you have TPTK so raise more. You are giving him odds to draw for a flush.
Turn - of course, if you put him on a flush draw you should call, but does it look like it? You were aggresive PF and on the flop, and still he bets into you. I think you'r behind here. How would your opponent play an overpair?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:47 PM

So, amoeba, what's your postflop line?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure. these type of situations confuse me and I dont like being in them so I try to avoid them by not raising preflop against these types of opponents.

having got here, I would probably just base it off reads like hero did. a possible line is raising all in on the flop to fold out say 88-TT, but given villain's nature, this is probably not possible but against a more thinking player, this could be considered.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

I felt I was kind of in late position since there were only 4 players at the table. The guy on the button was almost always folding to my preflop raises, so I felt I could buy the button.

The raise was so large because I've kind of been trying to follow a "fimbulwinter style", since he advocates large raises like that... at least from what I gather from his posts.

I agree the flop min-reraise was kind of stupid. I could have done just fine calling the flop and seeing him check on the turn... that probably would have let me know he really was on a flush draw for much cheaper.

Or perhaps I should have raised much larger, I'm not sure. I was mainly looking for information, I felt like he wouldn't fold to a raise no matter how high. And I definitely shouldn't have given him odds to draw to a flush... I completely forgot about that! Either way, the min-raise was totally stupid.