Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Swimming with the fishy

villain in this hand is a donk of ages. he rountinely overbets pots. in the past three orbits he has randomly bet 30-45 in 5-10 dollar pots. he was called once and riverd trips with his massive third pair, which explains his stack. i have layed down tpsk in a threeway pot with him only to see other guy attempting to bluff fish middle pair. i get q4 sooted on the button and i open for three looking to play a big pot with this guy....

[converter is acting up]
I have ~100BB villain has me covered
Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.
Three to go baby!

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks. (Pot ~7)

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Villain bets 30, I call(Pot ~67)(I have about 67 left)

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero ??????
Old 10-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Swimming with the fishy

why r u raising limpers with Q4?

i check the river through, but if he is also a calling station u could try and slide a thin value bet. i dont think u get called by worst hands here though...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 PM

I think you can pick a better spot to get into a big pot with this guy.

I think a value bet could be in line.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why r u raising limpers with Q4?

[/ QUOTE ]

other than myself and the donk the table was playing uber tight in response to villains lunacy....soooo i raise 3 to get it HU (i had done this several times b/f and villain was only limper) also, i raise the blinds for info. if they call i am pretty much done with the hand unless i make a rockcrusher....it would suck to call a monster donkbet from villain and have sb come along who completed with kq...

soooo when the blinds comply i operate under the assumption i have two live cards....additionally, if the flop were to come 442, i feel better about my hand than if i built a pot with say 54soooted...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can pick a better spot to get into a big pot with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course b/c this is standard thought process against maniacs. i anticiapted this response and it is why i posted the hand. i will elaborate more on this after some more responses.

[/ QUOTE ]I think a value bet could be in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

me2 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 AM

Apparently i am the only person who found this hand interesting. The reason i posted the hand was to advocate/discuss how to play against rabid maniacs. just like the rest of the table, most people beleive the best way to stack these guys is to "wait them out"; while this can be effective, u are missing a lot of value when the tard on your left lucks up and catches AA in three orbits while u have been folding would be winning hands pf. heres the thing. when a player randomly bets 30-40 bb into a 6-7 bb pot they are begging to go broke. he isnt making this bet for value, everyone is folding when he does it, why would he do it when he had tp or a monster. admittedly, it would be a little better if he mixed it up, but he wasnt. that is a fold bet. he check to me on the flop b/c he thought i might have something. since i didnt, i say thx for free card lets see turn. predictably he overbets the sheet out of the pot. i was calling with nearly anypair. he had been pushleading scare card rivers, but there are not really any draws here which made my call easier. now when he checks the river i have a decision. bear in mind i have been mixiing it up with this guy and one of the only hands that have recently gone to showdown he snapped off a large river bluff with middle pair 2 kicker. my move here was clear. all in.

Also, i only have 100BB. if i am wrong i can simply rebuy and have a real good shot at getting my money back with interest. had we both been sitting on 300bb stacks there is some merit to playing a little more selectively since i could only rebuy 100bb. my edge against this guy postflop was astronomical, so i loosened up and played any reasonable, and some not so reasonable hands with his 93 vpip stack (the only explanation i have is he must have been afk a few hands b/c this guy personified the phrase "any two will do")