Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

[ QUOTE ]
College provides general knowledge,

[/ QUOTE ]
Certainly not the only way to accumlate general knowledge.
[ QUOTE ]
preparation for jobs,

[/ QUOTE ]
In some cases, sure. But, probably not as effectively as vocational training of some sort, or an apprenticeship.

I think a lot of people confuse college with direction and purpose. With direction and purpose college may be quite beneficial. But, with direction and purpose a non-college route might serve you just as well.

Without direction and purpose, neither college nor non-college paths are likely to serve you too well.

And, I am quite convinced that college is not the place to find direction and purpose.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
college is more +EV than any of you students on heaters can possibly know

[/ QUOTE ] This is a broad generalization clearly and its very likely to apply better to the population in general than people who would/could be successful as Poker Professionals.

In general, I think Ed should limit his writings to things he knows well and stay away from general life advice. And as somebody who occasionally works in higher education the notion that people who were good or better students and leave to pursue other oppurunities never return to get their degree is much less true now that it was ten to fifteen years ago. And it was *never* all that true. Bein able to make six figures at a job that stimulates you intellectually and allows you to make your own hours is a very good opurtunity especially at a young age. Further I think its a huge waste to drift around a college campus rudderless with no bettter idea of why you are there than because that is what is expected of you. Its flat out stupid.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bein able to make six figures at a job that stimulates you intellectually and allows you to make your own hours is a very good opurtunity especially at a young age.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to be a very small subset of people that skipperbob is addressing. I think he's more interested in reaching the audience that only thinks they can do this.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:15 PM

University has been -EV for me. Don't get me started on Student Loans. Wish I had just done self-study.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Further I think its a huge waste to drift around a college campus rudderless with no bettter idea of why you are there than because that is what is expected of you. Its flat out stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Of course, that doesn't mean that drifting rudderless in other places is necessarily better. For the rudderless, it can be hard to find +EV environments.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Where's the Rudder?...Is it at the pointy-end of the boat or the at the assend?...The Chief-of-the-Boat used to hate it when I asked that question...But then again, only two kinds of people whissle in the Navy; Chiefs & Queers
Old 12-22-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ed Millers articles drive me insane for some reason. Quotes like the following are pretty insulting:

"I think people are dropping out of college because they see poker as their “way out.” Poker isn’t a way out of anything. It’s a game, and it can provide some nice extra cash. Some really nice cash if you are good. But eventually you are going to have to (or at least want to) live like a normal person again. Normal people finish college."

Anyway there are a lot of things that "normal" people do that aren't very appealing to me. Also who is he to say how someone else is going to want to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that quote is disgusting. I don't want to be normal. I don't strive to be normal. I don't want to work a 9-5. I don't want to make $50,000 a year. Everybody around here seems to think that trying to play poker is the "easy" way out. I think its the hard way, but could lead to being much more lucrative, while also allowing one to be free. Everybody has to look at their own situation and see what's best for them. If these two options are my choices:

1. Force myself to graduate college while hating every minute of it so I can get a square job that I also hate. Going this route has safety, you know you're never going to go bankrupt if you have any kind of money management skills, but how much are you going to enjoy life?

2. Take a shot at going pro in something that you absolutely love. Maybe you'll be broke in two months.

Which is the bigger mistake? I think not taking a shot is by far a bigger mistake.

I'm going to qualify this by saying that I am not any where near believing I have the skill set to play professionally yet, but I hope I have the guts to take a stab whenever I do develop the skills.

BTW, I'm 23, and never went to college.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 PM

FWIW, I agreed completely with the article.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM

I'm going to ignore your advice and go pro anyway, after I graduate in June.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM

I still manage to fit in 20 hours of poker a week at school. I don't think that I want to play much more poker than that. Sure, there are many things that I would rather be doing other than school with the rest of the time, but school isn't bad and I'll have plenty of time for that when I graduate and have all of this money saved up.