Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Could someone please comment on the merit of these thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Myself and many other posters have noticed that in the past couple months there has been an increase in "spite callers" at the $22-$33 level. Perhaps the term itself is inappropriate, because much of the time I sincerely doubt there is any "spite" involved. But nevertheless, bad players are making incredibly loose calls on or close to the bubble, whether out of spite for us, the pushbotters, or because they honestly feel they are making a correct call, or even because they are just impatient as hell.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

This is bad. It hurts their equity, because this is clearly suboptimal bubble strategy. It hurts my equity because it makes optimal bubble strategy wrong, forcing me to tighten up and sacrifice a large part of my edge. You don't want people calling your all-ins with hands like A2o, 22, QTo, T7s, etc, you want their damn blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Could someone please comment on the merit of these thoughts?

that's one of the flaw in the pushbotting strategy, the more you do it, the more notes that get made on you so in future games the more calls you get. Then you wonder how the hell did he know i had squat?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 AM

I haven't played for enough time to make a sensible comment to #1.

#2 is wrong though - you push hands that are +ev vs. a calling range. If he has a wider calling range, that changes your pushing range - nothing more. You do, however, need to know who these people are. This is pretty rare - these guys don't often survive past one questionable call, by definition.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:56 AM

It's not really pushbotting if you're pushing with squat though is it? You're pushing with a range of hands that is +ev vs. his range of calling hands. If his range of calling hands increases, your range of pushing hands changes so that you are +ev. In fact, this means that your range increases.

I don't know about anyone else, but I rarely see the same players again and again. I don't think this is something to be worried about, not in the 20 & 30 games.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really pushbotting if you're pushing with squat though is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno about you but I push with plenty of 'squat', knowing it is correct to do so.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:03 AM

Well, surely that's no longer squat? You push with a range that's +ev vs. the calling range.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played for enough time to make a sensible comment to #1.

#2 is wrong though - you push hands that are +ev vs. a calling range. If he has a wider calling range, that changes your pushing range - nothing more. You do, however, need to know who these people are. This is pretty rare - these guys don't often survive past one questionable call, by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Of course they do. If they didn't, they'd never play for as much money as they do.

However, you're right about adjusting your raising range vs specific opponents. If you adjust your raising range, will that decrease your ROI, though? I think that's what the author is getting at.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:08 AM

You need to figure out who will call with what and adjust your raising strategy accordingly. Raise less and let them call someone else. As much as its -EV when they call you, its +EV when they call someone else. You may not get as many 1sts, but your 2nds and 3rds will increase, as will your profits.

moses
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM

Sciolist: That is not true.. You are not only pushing with hands that if called are +EV. You are taking FE into account, which means pushing hands are much worse than calling hands... It is about reaching the Nash Equalibrium....

But, I agree with the original post. The looseness makes the pushing strategy suboptimal because other people are playing suboptimally. So, when I push with 9s6s, and get called by Js2s on the bubble, I am really pissed because of his terrible call. It is a terrible call even though he was +EV because I would have pushed with a huge range of hands that would have been better than J2.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is about reaching the Nash Equalibrium....

[/ QUOTE ] Nash equilibrium is rapidly becoming the most overused buzz word in this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a terrible call even though he was +EV because I would have pushed with a huge range of hands that would have been better than J2.

[/ QUOTE ] In all likelihood his call is not +$EV for him either. It hurts both you and him significantly in regards to $EV. Money in the 800 chips games is made in many ways. Getting value out of your premiumm hands is first and shortly after that is the horrible calling decision by the other players in hands that you are not playing.